Levels of DIYC support

In my honest opinion an all or nothing approach like this will break this community. Also it's Kelly (kychristmas) that does the scholarship.

Well I wasnt really referring to an all or nothing approach, I must have worded it wrong... I just think that since the community does cost money then the members should contribute... and if your a guest you should have access, but just more limited...

I originally looked here just because i didnt want to pay LOR prices for equipment that I could build myself... so I searched and searched... and this was the best spot... once people come to the realization that this is the ultimate community, that is when i think a small fee should be implemented... heck it doesnt even have to be much... with over 8k members it could be 1 dollar a year

i just didnt want everyone to think that i was saying, the site would put up a stop sign unless you were a member.

I agree with many of the comments - ALL visitors/members should have read access to everything here. I lurked here and other places for a year or more before plunging in. I suggest we stick with one of the earlier premises of putting in ads for guests/non-supporting members, a low-level membership to rid you of ads ($10), a supporting membership similar to what we have now ($25) and a top-tier membership level ($50). With the top-tier comes a few extra perks - deeper PM box, ability to change name/title, quicker search, etc. It would be good to see that with top-tier membership comes some more responsibilities as well such as helping to keep the Wiki up-to-date, providing more how-to's, actively recruiting folks, etc since most of these folks will probably be the people with that have been around longer and have the most to offer.

That sounds like the best thing I haved heard yet. The top-tier is a title that should be earned and only offered by Brian first, and then, Brian and the other top-tier members. That way you could keep trouble makers like me out. LOL

I just logged in and along the menu bar there is a new option: Donate.

Nice. I'm going there now to do my part.

Does anyone have an update on this? Have the new member sign ups and / or donations helped make a reasonable dent? what are the next steps?

I agree I have made a donation on top of my membership and have not received a thank you, not a thing. The administrator needs to let people know what the needs and goals are!

I would like some specific data not speculation or inference.

Thanks,
Al

I want to say on behalf of the community a BIG thank you for your support in keeping this site running with your donation. It is the generosity of you and others that make this site a worthwhile place to visit and gain knowledge of DIYC.

I agree I have made a donation on top of my membership and have not received a thank you, not a thing. The administrator needs to let people know what the needs and goals are!

Thanks,
Al

I trust that they are managing their resources wisely. I just want to know whether we are getting close to the target, or if we all need to start going door-to-door selling Dirk's cookies / brownies to raise some funds.

I agree with increasing the supporting membership fee, I am suggesting $30/year ($2.50 a month) and $20 for six months.

I agree with the ads for non-member individuals (guests).

Guests should have access to the forums, but not to see attachments.

A Become a Supporting Member button should be noticeable as mentioned in earlier posts. There should be some kind of flashing button on top to grab your attention and it doesn't have to be ginormous.

Perhaps, a little housekeeping could be in order (getting rid of "members" that have never once posted and are at least two years old) I know that makes us look bigger, but we should really only view people that contribute as members. Perhaps if an email was sent out asking them to respond to determine if they are in fact members with a time table.
Housekeeping on threads. Lounge threads not too pertinent should be deleted after six months. Again that is just a suggestion and I know that would be a HUGE undertaking.

Just my 1/2 cent after taxes.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Al

You should have received a Thank You reply when you made your donation. If this did not occur then I apologize. I would like to express my sincere thanks to you publicly. Thank You to all who made donations. You are helping ensure the future of DIYC. If each and every one of you who made donations did not receive the Thank You message please contact me and I will personally ensure you do. If anyone donated and is unhappy I am willing to return the donation with no hard feelings. There are always going to be glitches when new system are setup.

I would love to tell you we need x number of dollars to reach our goal but right now the Advisory Committee is still trying to figure out exactly what are future needs and goals are. We have already implemented some of the more direct functions but need time to iron out the rest. The committee is making progress and we do not want to rush into the wrong direction.

I have told the committee and I think I even publicly posted that the mere discussion about the lack of Supporting Members has increased Supporting Memberships by about 50 percent. If I did not publicly post it I apologize again. On top of my regular admin work load I have 52 threads in the advisory committee forum to watch over and read every single post. The I have to go reread a lot of the threads in their entierty to understand the last posted perspective.

Thank You once again to all who went above and beyond by making a Donation to the future of DIYC.

Brian,

I don't recall if I got it or not. I don't need one, but I did want to say thank you to you. Being an admin can be a thankless job, but I do appreciate what you do for this site.

THANK YOU!!!!

Erik

Thank You once again to all who went above and beyond by making a Donation to the future of DIYC.
No, thank *you* Brian, for all your hard work. Having led a committee or two in my time, while I understand the need to have advisors, I don't envy you the chore of keeping them all in line ;) ...

So, thank you for your continuing hard work and thank the committee for getting involved and helping you plot out direction for our little community.

\dmc

That's what I'm talking about big subscribe button on main page. I became a member today, before that didn't know or didn't look on how to become one, This site has been very helpful for me, that 20 bucks is beyond worth it I hope a lot of people pitch in as well. and keep this thing going just the way it is:cool:

I don't recall receiving a thank you message for my donation, but I will do a search of my emails when I get a chance. For me, it is no biggy. I donated because I perceived the need to keep the piece of the web going and I was able to spare some extra cash.

The likes of Brian and those that were active in Computer Christmas have made this hobby what it is today - accessible to all.

We should all appreciate their effort in as many ways as possible. Some financially, some by service to the wider community, others by just getting in boots and all.
Thanks you.

I must have missed a switch when I initially setup the donation system. I have gone through it and verified the settings again. Anyone who makes a donation from this point on should receive a Thank You PM when the donation is made and another when it is confirmed.

Thank You to those who brought this oversight to my attention. No disrespect was intended and I am sorry about my mistake.

Back