Lighting option for blowmolds

boyelroy11

I'm tired of replacing the bulbs in my nativity blowmolds every time one falls over. Anyone know of some type of dimmable LED setup that is readily available and bright enough to light the blowmolds? :confused: I'm using a ren64 and ssrez setup, so 110v would be easiest.

Thanks
Bruce

Why is it that the simplest ideas always escape me? I'll try that and see if it is bright enough.

Thank You
Bruce

Maybe string one or more dimmable C7 or C9 LED bulbs in each one? Probably more expensive than the mini's hartlove suggested, though.

Wouldn't mini lights be too heavy?

EDIT: Didn't see you said blowmolds, thought you said blow ups, The minis might be enough light.

Last edited:
I use one of two things to keep mine from blowing over. The first is I 1/2 thick piece of wood about 8 inches higher then the item drove into the ground. I then use wire (electric fence wire) and tie them to the stake. If they are odd shaped the I drill a hole in the bottom and use rebar electric fence poles and put them through the drilled holed. I've had winds in excess of 45 miles an hour and rarely have one blow over... let alone replace the bulb.

Lowe's now has LED bulbs in the standard edison socket size that look just like regular bulbs for $9. Replaced all my molds with these and it appear to work well. A little costly, but they do last and use almost no power.

Lowe's now has LED bulbs in the standard edison socket size that look just like regular bulbs for $9. Replaced all my molds with these and it appear to work well. A little costly, but they do last and use almost no power.

Are they fully dimmable?

Lowe's now has LED bulbs in the standard edison socket size that look just like regular bulbs for $9.
Do you happen to know the Lowe's SKU number? The only one that I can find bright enough on their website is $19. I have a couple Lowe's in the area but neither is close enough to just run over to quickly.

LED's would be better for me because of the low temps. CFL's work but they fail long before they normally would.

Do you happen to know the Lowe's SKU number? The only one that I can find bright enough on their website is $19. I have a couple Lowe's in the area but neither is close enough to just run over to quickly.

LED's would be better for me because of the low temps. CFL's work but they fail long before they normally would.

Those $19 ones were on sale for $9 at my local Lowe's. I would bet those are the ones.

Erik

Utilitech 40-Watt Equivalent Indoor Soft White LED Light Bulb
Item #: 338802 | Model #:LA19DM/LED

40-Watt Equivalent Indoor Soft White LED Light Bulb

Warm White light provides bright directional light for warmer atmosphere; bulb offers full range dimming and are shock proof
Dimensions 2.375"D x 2.375"L
Generate no UV or IR Rays
Instant on to full brightness
Up to 90% energy savings
A-19 bulb
Uses 7.5 watts for 60 lumens of brightness
Bulb life is 25000 hours
Standard base, most frequently used for general lighting applications
Designed for indoor use only (or enclosed outdoor use only)
3000 K Color Temperature, Warm White Light

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338802-7577..._Light+Bulbs_4294801215__s?Ntt=led&facetInfo=

They were listed as "new lower price" in the 3 stores near my house so I don't know if it was just a local sale or if the price is going to remain.

Wow, if those really last that long then they would be great at $9 not at $19 though. (at least not for me)

Hi All,
What I did with my blowmolds in Australia was to convert them to 12v. I used a 5 or 10 watt halogen bulb and a down light holder (just the socket). I can connect 5 blowmolds to a 60va down light transformer, so it saves a lot power. Now I have been looking at strip led lighting that is IP65 rated. The strip can be cut every 3 leds or where ever you want so put a 30cm (12 inch) length inside, the draw back is that they are DC so you need a DC supply and the voltage drop can be a bit ruff over a long distance. The other way is to use a 12v 7ah rechargeable battery and a solar panel to recharge it, this will reduce any energy costs and you can run a fair few off it as a 5 meter length will use 24 watts, that's 300 leds.
Just a couple of tips.
Laurie

Back