Looking for a simple solution for static setups

ChristmasBuddy

I'm still learning a lot in this hobby and I appreciate all of the help from this community.

Since I am convinced that I have seriously over maxed my Dirkcheap SSRs and fried a few of these. Here is what I need if someone can point me to the right solution.

I was reading this post on "Latching Circuit" and someone suggested to just use a Renard channel to switch on a Relay.

That is exactly what I need except I will be turning on a power strip. I have a few static displays with a bunch of lights in them and I would like to turn them on at the beginning and off at the end of the show. Nothing fancy and no dimming is needed. Just on & off.

Thanks!

Buddy

Thanks @deonb!

For the Relay itself it does look like it has the muscle to do the job.

What else would it need? RJ45, etc?

Buddy

Thinking outside of the box here.

Would this be a matter of reusing a circuit channel from an SSR like Dirkcheap and then adding the appropriate Relay?

Again, my goal is to use one of my Renard channels for turning it on/off. The Relay would then activate my power strip which could have between 4-8 amps of lights (ball parking this estimate since I don't have specs on these static icans).

I know I'm not an electrical based person but I am willing to do the work.

Thanks

Buddy

Would this be a matter of reusing a circuit channel from an SSR like Dirkcheap and then adding the appropriate Relay?

Yes, you just directly substitute the Dirkcheap SSR for the one above. I think that relay has something like a 7mA impedance, which should be fine to drive directly from an MCU.

That relay above is still a SSR - just a much bigger one than the Dirkcheap one. To drive a real mechanical relay is a bit more complicated, and it shouldn't be needed for lights.

Back