Looking for ideas/inspriation

samami

Aloha,
I'm new this year. I started out smallish. I have a roofline on my house and my separate garage and an 8ft megatree 90ish degrees with 9 strands. I'm looking to sequence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GtPX6c_kg as my first one. But for the life of me I can't think of how to make it interesting with just those three elements. Most examples have dozens of elements. How did you get started, any ideas on the how to make a (mostly linear roofline) more interesting?
Mahalo,
Sam

Aloha,
I'm new this year. I started out smallish. I have a roofline on my house and my separate garage and an 8ft megatree 90ish degrees with 9 strands. I'm looking to sequence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GtPX6c_kg as my first one. But for the life of me I can't think of how to make it interesting with just those three elements. Most examples have dozens of elements. How did you get started, any ideas on the how to make a (mostly linear roofline) more interesting?
Mahalo,
Sam

Sam,

sorry for not answering your question, but my question is where can I purchase a copy of that song? I can't find it anywhere other than Youtube.

For inspiration I also use Youtube. Search the group and Christmas Lights. Like "Piano Guys Christmas Lights". Also the song done with Christmas lights. It may not be the same but you might be inspired but by another version of the song and pull that into your's. I would also search "First year Christmas lights". See what others have done with their first year setups. You might find elements like your's and can apply them to the sequence. See tree affects that you may be able to do and adjust to fit your layout and song. Sometimes it also pays to just play in the software, put things together to see what looks good. We then keep them and use them later in songs. My best suggestion is to be sure to make up an accurate preview. The closer you come to what your display will look on your house the more accurate the end product will look when you run your show. Last, have fun. Don't fight it. If you get frustrated, put it away and come back. It always helps.

Welcome to the madness!

Not sure if you're using pixels or incans/led (assuming pixels). I would think about doing several mini trees or smaller elements if using pixels. The more elements you have the more you can do with the display when it comes to sequencing. You can do a lot with 8 mini trees with pixels. I don't think you'll be happy with a 9 strand Mega Tree.

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas folks. I had just started considering re-purposing the mega tree. Currently it's a 250 pixel spool so it can be whatever I want. Maybe I'll shoot for some smaller trees and/or a handful of arches.
-Sam

Most people that you see their displays started small and with each passing season they add more. With what you have now, I can say that you are actually starting "big". I will advise you to not re-purpose your mega tree. Mega tree is always the model other models are built around. If you can afford your mega tree to be say 16 strings of 50 pixels that will be 800 pixels, with your house outlines, you will have really good model to sequence to.

Unless you are really good with xLights, I will suggest that you start first with pre-made sequences (maybe 2 or three, although the are expensive!!!), with pre-made sequences, you don't have to spend a lot of time figuring out xLights and you can learn a lot by studying these pre-made sequences and let us not forget that you will have excellent professional display.

This is a very good forum with a lot of excellent experience folks, willing and able to assist you.

Best of lucks.

Back