Looking for side by side comparison on Vixen2/Vixen3

I am trying to wrap my head a round the differences between these two versions. If I am running the SS Series controllers and only using incandescent and Led should I use Vixen 2? I plan on using SanDevices E682's to drive my pixels and continue to use my SS controllers to run my regular lights. If the sequencing software is moving toward V3 than I am willing to use it. I plan on using a 485 USB converter to run my Renards and my Ethernet port to run the E131 for the 682's if this helps in explaining my use.

there is one big dif where vixen 2 uses a time slice I call it you put the effect in that area (check the box it is on of or what ever) where vixen 3 you put the effect anywhere in the song you can move a little forward or back too try too get best timing with song I know they have other dif but that is first main thing in my head

Either version will work. Vixen 2 has been used for quite awhile and has many success stories but is no longer being update. Vixen 3 is currently active and getting the latest bells and whistles.
Having said that, I think the major difference is how you sequence in the 2 programs. I would suggest downloading them both, giving each a try and going with the one you like best.

I would also suggest looking at nutcracker. The new v4 when it comes out in a month or two will have a lot to offer.

I have used both, we added pixels this year and switched to V3, we have several SS boards that i still run off the serial / usb port, and our E682 off the ethernet through a router.

It is different thinking for sequencing. I have not figured out all the basic stuff with V3 yet, never master V2 either. V3 is nice, much quicker to add effects, especially with the pixels. In V2 you have to select each box to turn on, V3 you have a preset pattern to do same thing. V3 very easy to move channels around. Biggest Con to V3 i found so far is the lack of "and / or / nor, etc" functions. I would suggest watching the tutorial videos a couple times, and then try it.

Back