Main Differences Between 2.1 and 2.5.0.8...

Superfreak3

Hi there,

When I ripped everything down this year I noticed I was only running v2.1. I don't think I have the need to jump to 3.0, but was wondering what the main advantages over 2.1 are contained in 2.5.

When setting up the channels in the profile I noticed a Dimming Curve control that I don't believe was there in 2.1. What is that setting for.

I don't run a very complex show at all - normal dimming, etc - nothing fancy. I will be switching to mostly if not all LEDs next year, but I wouldn't think that should factor into my software decision. So, I'm just wondering if I should jump to 2.5 or just stay at 2.1.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

You pretty much found the main difference - dimming curves. It allows you to mix/match LEDs and incans a bit better since LEDs don't have a linear lighting curve.

So if switching to all LEDs, would it be better to use 2.5 and mess with that Dimming Curve setting or just stick with 2.1 and not worry about it? Or, if not mixing in any incans, 2.1 would be OK?

It's been so long since I used 2.1, I can't remember for sure, but I think besides dimming curves, there's also something about cut-and-paste that's different ... maybe you can't copy sequence data out of a 2.1 file into a third-party application (Notebook, Excel) while you can in 2.5?

I have found dimming curves to be invaluable in setting up my mixed incan/LED show. I have curves on at least half my channels.

As others have said, while there are plenty of folks (me included) who have had no problems with 2.5, others have seen nasty situations with the application.

My personal plan is to move to Vixen+ for 2014; it supports dimming curves, has a user interface similar to Vixen 2.1/2.5 and the file formats are exactly the same. See http://www.vixenplus.com/ ...

HTH.

\dmc

I see the dimming curve setting is used for mixed incan/LED shows, but if all my minis will be LED next year, do I have to worry about that. Can I just continue to use 2.1 without worry?

I see the dimming curve setting is used for mixed incan/LED shows, but if all my minis will be LED next year, do I have to worry about that. Can I just continue to use 2.1 without worry?

It can help with LEDs by themselves as well if you want to see dimming through the full range from 0-255 (or 0-100% whichever way you look at it). LEDs tend to turn on early in the range but don't change quite so much later in the range. You can create a curve that will make that a bit smoother. Now - is it worth it in the end? Honestly - probably not - but you'll have to be the judge of that. If you do plan to stick with 2.1, I would probably look at Vixen+ however - the developer is pretty active with it and there will be more improvements/features down the road I'm sure...

I'm not quite sure I understand the curve concept. Can someone post a screenshot of an LED string channel and what the curve might look like.

Does Vixen+ have the curve.

If I don't do anything with the curve/2.5 and stay with 2.1, what will my dimming look like, if you can put that into words. Will they still dim, will it seem as though the dimming (chasing of a mega tree) is out of sync.

Maybe there is a video tutorial about this out there somewhere. ??

They will dim just fine. Your old minis come on at 1 % (maybe) and are full on at 100%, half on at 50%. LEDs may come on at 10%, full on at 70% and half on at 15%. A dimming curve would make 10% on when Vixen shows 1%, 70% on when Vixen shows 100%, 15% on when Vixen shows 50%. This lets you set a LED to 75% and a mini to 75% and they both have the same intensity. However dimming curves need to be setup on a string by string base for this. So not very many people take the time to set them up. And if your all LED I wouldn't even think about it, IMHO.

When you say "difference" are you referring to incans vs LEDs or version 2.1 as opposed to 2.5. My plan is to just stay with 2.1 and not worry at all about dimming curves. I would jump to 2.5, but I guess some have had bad experiences so I would just stay the 2.1 course.

I watched the Vixen+ tutorial and heard mention of the incorporation of a channel grouping plugin, which made the sequencing mega tree channels and the like a bit easier as only the channels in a created Mega Tree group would be displayed in the sequencing grid.

I'm wondering if that plugin was available for 2.1 and if so, where can I find it.

I guess I'll stick with 2.1 for now and possibly switch to + down the road, but would really like to use that grouping PlugIn functionality.

Back