Making 2d coro props stand up

1pet2_9

Hi,

I just commercially-bought my first ever coro props. I was wondering if there were any known best practices for making the 2d ones free-standing? Particularly, so that they don't curl backward in the wind,?

I use 1/2" grey PVC pipe attached to the back. I slip this over 3/8" rebar I pound into the ground.

I personally think the Grey has better UV protection, but white should work as well. While I get SOME wind, I know other folks experience more than I do. That being said, you can put as much rebar into the ground as needed to securely anchor your prop and add a 2nd or 3rd piece or more to offset the wind load. Both rebar and PVC pipe are relatively inexpensive.

PVC "ribs" do work well. We also use fence stakes, cut down so they are shorter than the prop. (For example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...ERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-205960881-_-N&)

The trick with Coro props that have all that wiring on the back is to use a stand-off, such as a pipe mount. With some props, 2" x 2" wood works, and allows us to screw from the fence stake into the 2x2. This has been tested with over 200 wooden cutouts, many wireframe props, and a whole bunch of coro props. Except for some hurricane force winds not liking a couple of our larger props (4'x8' painted plywood), not one failure in many years.

BTW - "T Stakes" are a bit of overkill. Great for the tall, heavy props, but overkill for those made of coro or wireframe. And a fence stake puller comes in real handy when trying to remove these in January.

I designed a bracket for my candy canes last year to be made out of rebar that was a single stake and would not allow the cane to twist in the wind. I then spent part of the summer making/welding them together. A friend decided to used a couple of my extra candy canes at the last minute and used 1x2 wood cut to length. He screwed the 1x2 to the prop but on it's short side. To mount the prop to the ground he used the green fence poles. Drove them into the ground and the 1x2 fits in the pole. To complete the install he screwed the 1x2 to the fence pole through the holes that are in it pole. I thought is was a cheaper design that also stopped the twist factor in the wind.

Thanks for the overwhelming responses. This must be near & dear to people's hearts.

My concern is that if the wind blows hard on the coro, that it'll warp if it's staked down well.

Back