Matrix Design HELP!!!

Electrified3

I am trying to come up with a decent matrix using RGB strips. Here are the pixels I am planning to use:
http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42_44&products_id=176

I am planning to use the full 5m for the length, so roughly 16' long mounted horizontally. I am looking at using 18 strips but am trying to figure out horizontal spacing for the strips, if I go 2" I end up with a 3' tall matrix, 3" spacing 48" tall, 4" spacing 64" tall, etc. I plan to run text on it with background effects so want it to be legible for as much of a distance as possible and try to not have it look squashed or stretched. Any help with recommended spacing would be greatly appreciated.

I also need to try to keep the number of channels to a reasonable amount to try to run it off 2 E6804 or E682 controllers if possible. 18 channels by 450 channels (150 LEDs x 3) works out to 8100 channels so I would think by that would be at least 4 controllers running unicast. I would like to get it down to 2 controllers and maybe group the pixels in groups of 2 or 3 but not sure how this will also effect the legibility of it as well.

Any advise from anyone who has built one of these would be greatly appreciated.

Back