Mini Down Under - SMD Tutorial Project, USB--> DMX512

mrpackethead

Hi, At the Melbourne Mini, we will be having an 'introduction' tutorial into Surface Mount Construction. And its not just going to be theory, we will be actually building something. The project is something we can finish in a couple of hours, and is reasonably priced, so hopefully we can have a high degree of participation. Theres a few of the crew that have some experience already and thats certainly going to help! I hope that by the end of the session, you'll be walking away with a functioning USB-->DMX512 adaptor, that you can go and use in your 2010 show. The DMX Adaptor is an ENTEC Pro compatible device so it will work with vixen ( and many other bits of software ). Thanks to RPM for some inspiration on this project, much of the design is based on his project with some modifications.

I'm been taken back by the enthusiasm towards the tutorial, I hope by the end of it, you see its not something to be scared of, and it will open up a whole world of possibility to you.

COST:
The cost for the tutorial will be $A25, which will cover the cost of the PCB, the components, and some consumables ( solder paste, liquid flux etc ).. You can pay this to me at the event.

Things that will be useful if you have them
I don't want you to rush out and buy these thigns if you don't have them, but i'm sure that we can find enough tools to use..

(a) good soldering irons with sutiable tips. ( Preferably a temp controlled one ). I'll place a link to some suitable ones.. The tip makes *ALL* the difference!
(b) solder wick.
(b) component tweezers ( for picking up smd components )

If you have any specalist SMD tools, and its not too hard to bring them, then thats great ( hot air rework, smd oven etc etc, pick'n'place machine ) then by all means bring them, but if you've got that stuff then you're probably not needing the tutorial! )

Programming: The chip is a ATMEGA, I have one programmer, I'm sure there might be one or two more out there...

Can you please register your interest below, so i can make sure that we have enough components and boards to keep everyone happy.

In the next few weeks, as time progress's, i'll publish the schematics, code and pcb files for you so you have a look and get familar with it.. For a start heres, a pic of the pcbs.

CONFIRMED PARTICIPANTS: ( copied from other thread, if i've missed you sorry, please scream, it looks like at least 3/4 of the crew are keen so far.)..

Total so far (15)

Toodlepipsky
Scorpia
Klanger
Aussiephil
Dave Burrows
Daviddth
Matt Edwards
PolarBear
Micheal Sullivan
Edward57
Aususe
Scorpia.
Goldie
Xcenntric
Micheal Sullivan
tuppet.

Attachments

• IMG_2150.jpg
    IMG_2150.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2149.jpg
    IMG_2149.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
MPH,

Sounds like a good plan, I have an older weller solder station that should work ok so i will bring it as well as some solder and tools etc.

I dont have a true AVR programmer but i do have 2 x buspirates which are supposed to be able to program AVR chips with the right setup. I will try and investigate this between now and then and see if i can get my latop to work for this. Hopefully it will help with programming if there is more than one programmer.

Peter

Man.... I wish I could come! But like Dirknerkle.... a bit too far.

Great idea to actually build something at the mini. Very cool mrpackethead...very cool indeed!

Regards,
Lightman

Man.... I wish I could come! But like Dirknerkle.... a bit too far.

Great idea to actually build something at the mini. Very cool mrpackethead...very cool indeed!

Regards,
Lightman

Well the idea is not copyrighted, please feel free to do it at a mini near you!

MPH,
Not to nitpick, but I noticed the silkscreen shows a DC-DC converter part # of NKE1205.

If this is USB powered, shouldn't this be a NKE0505? 1205= 12V in & 5V out,
where 0505= 5V in & 5V out.

Either way, great looking board. I really like the idea of building them at a Mini!

Robert

Not sure if your calling for a list of Aids but here goes anyway.
I will bring:
  • 850B hot air reflow station
  • 937 Soldering iron, 0.35mm solder, tweezers, solder wick
  • AVR ISP Mk2
  • AVR ISP Mk1
  • Laptop with Studio 4 loaded
I can also bring if requested
  • AVR SKT500
  • AVR Dragon
  • 2x Crappy USBTinyISP ( these don't work with 64bit Win7)
If I get my oven finished in time, I will bring that too.

I'll bring:

Laptop (Not sure if I'll take just mine or both as Sue's runs the show lol)

Temp controlled iron - will pick up more tips this week

Solder, heaps of solder wick (I have a lot stacked about)

Some of the LED ropelight in 3 & 4 color, and single color LED bits for us to see (From Santas LED Lights)

A couple of LED Floods and light strings used in Vixen demo's, as well as one of the 3 transformer boxes for controller, DC supply and 24V AC.

Various programmers & stuff

MPH,
Not to nitpick, but I noticed the silkscreen shows a DC-DC converter part # of NKE1205.

If this is USB powered, shouldn't this be a NKE0505? 1205= 12V in & 5V out,
where 0505= 5V in & 5V out.

Either way, great looking board. I really like the idea of building them at a Mini!

Robert

Very observant :) Hang over from reusing parts in Eagle. Doh. Yes, in deed it would be a NKE0505, but i'm using an equivalent part and yes it is 5/5V. The boards are left over from another project i'm working on, and they are not perfect, but plenty good enough to work for what we need to do.

Does someone have an aircompressor they can bring.. Just a little one would suffice.. I'd love to bring my liquid depenser but i need an airsupply and thats not somethign i can fly in!

'pressor: Got your back with my baby one if a better offer doesn't come past (we've got one in the warehouse worse case).
Remind me closer to date.

I'm in on the build if you didn't catch my mini-thread entry..

Last edited:
New Pictures..

And as they say on the cooking show..

" heres a couple that I prepared before the show " ( better make sure that this actually works huh! )

Attachments

• IMG_2208.jpg
    IMG_2208.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2206.jpg
    IMG_2206.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 29
Re: New Pictures..

And as they say on the cooking show..

" heres a couple that I prepared before the show " ( better make sure that this actually works huh! )

i thought you could only bake the smd to solder them, i never would of thought to use a soldering iron an solder all the pins at once.

1 question, how do you get it so the solder does'nt bridge out to the other tracks?

Re: New Pictures..

1 question, how do you get it so the solder does'nt bridge out to the other tracks?

Firstly the solder mask repeals the solder.. but mostly its technique.. the above video is from someone who is *very* good at it, but a bit of practice and you're all good.

Having the right tip on your soldering iron makes a lot of difference as well.

Back