moving heads question

PaulColbert

Hi all,
I want to add moving heads to my shows from xlilghts. However I do not have a clue what hardware is needed to add them.
I run xlights from my laptop via RJ45 cable to a switch. From there it goes to 4 Digquad controllers with 4 RJ45 cables. The digquads have ESP32 and run WLED software.
If I buy 2 moving heads, how do I connect them to the laptop so that they receive the correct data from Xlights? Which hardware is needed?
Thanks in advance,
Paul

You need a DMX signal connection somewhere along the line. Ton's of possibilities to get that signal. The heads themselves can be daisy-chained, so only the first one in the chain physically needs to connect to the DMX controller.

USB to DMX dongle. In the picture, you should see the other end matches the connector on your moving head.

Kulps, Alphapix, and LORs also support DMX off their controllers; but for now, this is simpler; and only $20.

Lixada USB to DMX Interface Adapter Controller DMX512 for PC Stage Lighting Controller Dimmer https://a.co/d/hMVQFQ8

USB DMX interface is the cheapest option - or if you want to run something from your 'network' then you'll need something which converts your show data (assume it's streaming ACN to the digiQuads) to DMX. This means possibly an additional controller that supports DMX, or there are ways of building your own depending on how comfortable you are with homemade electronics. I use arduino nano with ethernet shield to get 4 DMX universes, but there are plenty of other options. DMX has the advantage that (like your wired network) distance isn't a major consideration, so easiest stick with the USB route.

I'm Not in the market for Moving Head lights but I'm trying to follow and understand the hardware behind this.

The USB to DMX dongle linked to above could be plugged into show computer whether a laptop or say a Raspberry Pi?

But if I have a controller already capable of outputting DMX then I could just use that, Right?

Sorry for butting in but I just want to make sure I'm understanding things. :unsure:

Back