My Chimpmunk Witchdoctor singing pumpkins video

I'm torn, frankly. Part of me wants to revoke your blinky-flashy brotherhood membership. Seriously. Chipmunks for Halloween? They are not even carnivorous, zombie, brain eating chipmunks. Those are just annoying, hip-hop chipmunks. And yet there is a certain subtle, underlying evilness to the display that can not be dismissed. Well played, sir. Well played.

I understand your argument, but please, please do not revoke my blinky-flashy brotherhood membership. If I had a choice, I would have blood squirting, headless monsters attacking anyone that tripps the sensor in the yard, but since we run a daycare, we must keep it family friendly. Hmm, I wonder if I can rig up an evil chipmunk rising out of a hidden grave/tombstone for when the little kids leave. Would that be enough to let me back in?

- Michael

Michael,
I think the canopy set up is one of the most unique and great ideas for setting up a display. I think I may have to borrow that idea, I thought it was awesome!

I too try to appeal more to the children than the adults who want gore.

Great Job!!!

I personally like "scary" but i also tend to scare kids more then i should. looking at it from a kids point of view im sure it was pretty cool.Great job!

Man that was great! how in the world did you do the full size animated dancing shadow Girl!

It was so fluid, what kind of actuators where you using on her! LOL

It was good I should do something like that next year here.

RJ

Thanks for all the great comments.
The EZ-UP Canopy was a last minute decision. We picked it up at Sams Club for just under $200. There were expecting a lot of rain for the weekend, and the last time we ran in rain, I had to shut down with ground fault trips. I ended up floating some of my control boxes, and many of my cords still have the flood mud on them. It worked out really good with the back two sides on, and we would roll those up a little when it stopped raining. We are trying to find a way to project onto the back of the white sides, but have not figured anything out yet. The campground ended up having to shut down their haunted path because they could not keep power due to the rain. It also ended up being a great way to hang stuff without using alots of poles.
What does not show very well in the video is how the strobes lit up the roof. Very cool effect with only 8 C9 strobes, more would have been overpowering.
I plan on using this at our house to also help with security issues. Put up all 4 sizes, zipper them down and 'most' people will not bother it. At least that is the plan. I will probably put a motion detector inside that activates the storbes and sound system for some fun :)

I had to wait until we almost shut down the show to get any video because of the large crowds, and that one girl did a great job lip-sync dancing in front. While at the campground we estimated we had between 300-500 people watching. Much of the time there were rows of kids dancing in front, and the parents dancing in back. The show looped every 10 minutes, and most would stay for two full loops, then the kids would be back later for more.

One problem we did have was kids trying to jump into the middle and dance. Some kids were not even detoured by the high voltage signs and their parents saying to keep out. I am still looking for a good way to keep them out. I have made some suggestions, but my wife quickly said no to most of them, probably a good thing. Anyone have suggestions?

- Michael

On the back screen: You might be able to use the shadow puppet concept using high output LED encased in a can (something like a quality flashlight), and a vinyl (in ghost shape) on glass. Add in a little visual movement / dimming / color / etc of multiple projections and the back screen would really pop.

Larry

Back