My New Sequencer

I will do as big as i can ill do 30 high i dont care i figured ill take one of my 681 boards and max it out with pixels.

Looks pretty good so far. On your effects library, have you considered inserting a timebase, for example, if a person creates the effect based on a specific BPM (beat per minute) tempo they obviously are trying to match the visual effect to the musical effect. Very often, users also use one or more tracks as a "beat track" for the music the sequence is designed to use. In a sense, the beat track is a visual timebase, or at least a form of it.

Inserting an effect that was made for one sequence/music matched pair that is subsequently transplanted into a sequence having a different tempo probably won't match the new sequence's beat. I understand that you have the ability to stretch a sequence, but it would be nice to be able to match the timebase from the source to the timebase of the destination. If done visually, the user would just have to match up the timebase markers and it would be in perfect sync. This would be vastly preferred to the trial-and-error method.

Just an idea...

Nice idea.

You could be our only hope for some sort of matrix since vixen doesnt seem to be working on it and LSP doesnt work for most people. If you could make a video with text and import it into a matrix editor that would be insane.

I hear people say they need a matrix editor to do trees - but I'm having a had time wrapping my head around how someone takes a square grid matrix and easily sequences a tree; the tree being of a conical form where a grid matrix better represents a plane.

I have been thinking a lot on this topic - and it appears two type of editors are required - a matrix for those using RGB in a plane or long strings and a radial style editor for trees.

I'm still sleeping on this one.

Joe

Joe

A Megatree for all intents is a Flat Plane Grid Matrix wrapped around a Conical Form... now if you want to do perspective/keystone corrections for the conical shape then you would need to do more maths.

Cheers
Aussiephil

I've looked at some of the Madrix video that have been sent to me.

I consider that fairly easy since it requires little to no user interface - you tell the computer to process music through some dsp filters and the output from the filters drives channels and colors.

What I want to know - is if YOU want to design a custom sequence that requires hand manipulation of pixels (like a new mega-tree spiral effect) - what do you see yourself doing and what do you need to do it well?

do you think you will be able to import videos to it now problem. That will save a tremendous amount of time when scrolling text and making our pixel grid look like a tv?

Scrolling text - no problem.

Video??? I will have to investigate how to get access to video frame data - never done that before.

Joe

OK - explain how you would address this.

I've got to properly match grid points to channels.

I'm fine with a single string being horizontal or vertical.

What about the string that goes up and down several times?

I would have to have you configure each row or column - and tell me if single or looped. Where the head starts and ends.

Does that sound right?

Im not sure if thats what is needed i just remember seeing that about using video thought it would help. Hey if im able to set up a grid of rgbs and make it play text and video im all for it. No need for madrix or anything else.

For up-down as 1 string or folded string in madrix you are able to select this feature in the matrix generator , they call it snake mode .

here is a pic.

There is no set rule.
They may start on the top or the bottom.
On the left or the right.
They may be straight runs in only one direction.
They may zig - zag
or they may zig - zag - zig.

Anything is possible and has to be expected.

The E68x hardware can take all the kinks out of your strings and turn them into only straight runs.
Not all hardware can do this.

I have a 24w x 21h pixel matrix that starts in the lower left corner and zig-zags bottom to top to bottom.
My tree will be 24w x 25h matrix that starts in the lower left corner and zig-zags bottom to top to bottom.
My LEDancer sticks will form a 56h x 32w matrix, bottom to top only.

I would not worry about compensating for the distortion introduced in a mega tree,
though it would be nice if the preview could represent how it will actually look.

If you are going to break the video down into frames to apply to event periods the option to apply a video, or a directory of individual files would give maximum flexibility.

There really has to be some kind of animation program out there we could use to create the graphics.
You do not have to write everything yourself.:biggrin:

I think you are having way too much fun doing this.
You need to get a hobby.:thup2:

JOel

joel how close were you when you video'd this ?

Could you record from further away ? does it get clearer at a distance ?

Can someone provide me with a file that contains the type of data you want to show?

I want to see if I can process it - and play.

Joe

That video was taken from only 10 to 12 feet away.
I have a bad habit of doing a maximum zoom on anything I am filming.
I hate black frames, it seems a waste.
Those pixels are on 4in centers
and pixels are so bright they always overpower my camera

the files were already in avi format so they are already individual frames.

Here is the vertigo spiral,
change the .binary extension to .avi
If you can make this look good, you can do anything.

Attachments

• Rainbow Vertigo.binary
    785.1 KB · Views: 8
Back