Need a Firegod or comparable controller ASAP!

leettech

Hey Everyone,
I am a newbie to the automated Christmas lighting world, although I have a pretty in-depth background in home automation and pc controlled hardware. We have decided at the last minute to attempt a massive Christmas light display at our shop for the holidays. From everything I have read in the forums it seems like the Firegod board would be our best bet. We're shooting for around 100,000 lights and want the ability to dim. Since we're doing this last minute I am a little worried about getting the parts needed and getting a board built. I am looking for anyone with a Firegod or comparable board ready to go. I don't need any ssr as I have plenty. I know this is probably a long shot being so close to Christmas and most people are using their hardware, but I figured I would see if anyone had anything extra they wanted to sell for some extra Christmas CASH.

Getting the boards and parts will not be the problem. I'm not sure how you could build displays and sequence 100,000 lights. If you want to attempt it, I would suggest that you acquire the boards and order the parts. While waiting for them, I would download sequencing software (Vixen, Light Show Pro, etc.) and get started there. It is likely the parts will be there long before you have anything substantial.

I assume you have Hockey Puck style SSRs? Are you certain they will work with Dimming? I'm no expert, but I understand that most readily available packaged SSRs are not capable of dimming. The one's that are, are nearly double the cost.

I have two of Frank's Renard 24LVs that I may be interested in selling. The boards were intended for RGB Floods, but can be ran in SSR mode. I have built them and tested them in both modes. If you are interested, PM me. I'm guessing the cost would be approximately $40 ea, plus Shipping ($11 Priority Mail)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. It seems as if my thoughts were correct on which areas to focus on... I downloaded the vixen software about a week ago and have already mapped most of our light strands and got a couple of sequences laid out ready to go. We have also already started the actual hanging and placement of the lights. I figured this would be the biggest part and why I've opted to attempt to acquire a pre-built ready to go board. I will do some research on the Renard24lv's and see if they will work for us. I believe you are probably correct about the SSR's that I have. I know that not all our strands will need to be dimmable but there are def some that I want to be able to dim. Feel free to let me know if I am looking in the wrong direction here as far as the best board or hardware to use. As far as the Renards go:

How many channels? and do they support dimming?

The Renard 24LV's are just like other Renards. The number represent the number of Channels. Although in this case it does look like its a 24v card. Which it actually can be, but I believe the the 24 LV stands for 24 Channel "Low Volt" . Go to http://www.kostyun.com for info. Its one of Frank's designs. Its like a mini Renard 64.

Back