Need a tiny nudge with my Pickit 3

ChristmasBuddy

I have the pdf from the wiki for Pickit 3 and it has been most helpful so far.

It is seeing my Pickit 3 but here is the problem.

I have no other documentation telling me how to hook up the wires.

I can mount my IC to the holder but having no instructions telling me how to hook up the wires is a small problem.

I assume it is probably just 1 or 2 wires that I need. (That's what I get from buying off ebay). lol

Thanks!

Buddy

Not sure which Pickit 3 you have. There are many clones on Ebay. Also what are you hooking it up to? What are you trying to do?

attachment.php

:)

Attachments

• ttiwwp.gif
    ttiwwp.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 85
Certainly does look like a clone. The Microchip M doesn't look like the right logo, and it is upside down from the words, I wouldn't think the real one is like that.

That said, I use a clone (I bought a clone on purpose), and haven't had any issues with it. I don't use a ZIF socket, so I can't really help you there, but I bet it works fine for you once you get it setup.

I purchased mine from MicroChip. See attachment for what it looks like. I would assume the wiring is the same for the clones as it is for the real units. Simply download the PicKit3 and 16F1825 guilds and match up the 6 pins from the pickit3 to the proto board you have (the thing with the big socket). It should work ok.

However, if you have a PX1 all built, then put the 16f1825 into the socket on the PX1 and connect the pickit to the six pin programming header on the PX1. You will have to hold it 'just' right (the fit is not the best and there are some parts in the way) and program the device in place. I know it works because this is how I update changes in my PX1s.

Attachments

• PicKit3.jpg
    PicKit3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Martin!

I got my first IC programmed successfully at least it said it was good. It wasn't connecting at first to the ZIF board but once I remembered that someone said a 4.25 power setting for the IC it worked like a champ. I even verified it a couple of times with zero errors.

The other issue was compiling the ASM file to a HEX file. I had to do a little searching for that but once I found it, the code was compiled quickly.

So now I am getting ready to test my PX1 but first nursing an arthritic shoulder. Pain meds are not working today for some reason. Of course the thunder storms outside probably are not helping either.

Buddy

Back