Need help with idea for Halloween Light Show/Display.

DesertRat

I'm new to the whole DIY and lighting displays but not without the skills to do it. I'm still working on my over all Christmas display so I know what all I need to order and build when an idea jumped into my head for a Halloween display ( Yes I'm nuts! ). Anyway somewhere on here I came across a link to a video of a sing pumkin. Where can they be purchased at? My display idea is to take three to four of them along with some guitar and drum set cutouts illuminate them, add some spots, maybe a fog machine, and have a Halloween Band. Using light strings for the guitar strings, etc. Thank you!

Thanks guys I appreciate your help! I will definately check out Doug's singing pumkin. The singing punkin I saw was made of a foam rubber or something made to look like a JOL with some kind of voice sink mechanism that makes the mouth move to the words in a song. I'm still looking for the link where I saw it. Looks like I may have to also talk with Doug about some topiary (?) projects my wife is wanting me to do. Thanks again!

Hey LabRat, I finally located the video clip of the talking pumkin I saw. It's in a youtube video titled: Halloween Music Vid - "Trick or Treat" The pumkin only appears in it briefly twice but you'll see what I was refering too.

Hey Doug, Thanks for your offer, I'm not exactly sure what I am going to do right now, but I've been to your website and seen videos of them and you produce some really nice displays.

Hey Caviar, I checked out the Smashed Pumkins video and no it's not the one I was talking about. It's even better! Now that is a heck of a Halloween display! I would really enjoy talking with the people that did it and find out all about it.

My brother did a band like that one and it all was done with one Renard SS 24. The pumpkin sing with just one channel and one bulb. This guy is where he got the idea from but, my brother's band's name is THE PUNK CANS.

Hey Caviar, Sounds pretty cool, did your brother take any videos of his displays? Although I really liked the Smashed Pumkins display, if I were to go that route, there are a few changes I would like to make. Maybe it's just me or the video camera they used but I think their flood lights were a little to bright so I would probably dim them down some. I think I would also add some more to the drummers setup by adding a couple more drums and add a couple of symbols (metal trash can lids with LED strips on the edges). I would also like to connect the top of the corner posts together with matching frame work and light them to match. The bodies for the band would be a problem. I can't make stuffed figures with a darn. I do kn ow where I can get full size headless manicans (?) for about $50 each. I also a place were I can full size skeletons for about the same price. I'm probably going to need a lot more than 24 channels to do this setup, but then isn't that why God invented multiple Renard environments!

Caviar, Does anyone make a Ren 32 board setup?

With most boards, and certainly the Renards, you can simply daisy chain the controllers together.

A 32 Channel board with on-board SSRs would be very large. 24 is maximum you could go without having an over-priced board. I would start with one 24 Channel and then add another 24 or 16 Channel if needed. Otherwise, you could just use 2 16 Channel controllers.

Last edited:
Caviar, Does anyone make a Ren 32 board setup?

No but you could use two renards SS or one renard 64 XC. There is still time to get in on the renard 64 XC group buy. You get 64 channels for about $200.00. Your symbols idea sound cool. I love making props!

Back