Network setup using old router

Mdrhom1

hey guys ive been trying to find a good write up on networking and i cant find anything . what im trying to do is use an old router for a wired network im running a dig quad connected to a belkin 55e that is connected to my laptop that im running my show from i can get everything connected and working but when i shut it down and reboot the next day the ip address changes . ive read alot about static ip addressing but im not fully understanding how to go about it. any help is appreciated or if anyone knows where to find a good writeup thanks

From a cursory glance, the belkin 55e is not responsible for the IP address change. That would come from your DHCP server whereever that is located. What firmware are you running on the dig quad? Can you just set the IP address?

Since I run a closed network, it's only for my show. I set all my devices with static IP addresses. Each one gets set to its own address. Since I only have 5 controllers in my show that is not hard to do. I set mine to 10.10.1.206, 207, 208, 210, 211. If you set the static address on each device, your router can only give it that address. With a small show, the address should be available. Another way is to go on your router and reserve the ip address for each device. That way at boot, the router will always give the device the same address. Again, the address is preserved for each device. One last thing, I don't shut my stuff off. Everything runs on power supplies, very little power usage, does not take that much to keep them on for the month.

I give each device a name and use that. My FPP-MASTER has outputs for FPP-FACES and F16V3-FRONTTREE. I never know nor care what the IP address is. Type those names into the browser and it connects.

Thanks I am running wled on my dig quad in WiFi settings it says to leave all oooo in static address if running dhcp when I turned dhcp off I can’t reconnect to my router without resetting. Sorry for such a nobe question but I have never dealt with any networking. My system is a closed system with nothing but laptop router and dig quad I kinda get setting static address but I don’t know how to set the router and what subnet on dig quad is thanks

On your laptop when it is connected to the network What IP is it? you can find this out from a cmd window or terminal on a MAC by typing ipconfig or for mac ipconfig en0 or ipconfig en1 write it down. Then on your WLED Devices change the static ip from 0.0.0.0 to SAME.SAME.SAME.XX where SAME is the 3 first numbers from your laptop IP and change the xx to something you can remember for each(e.g. 192.168.1.111,192.168.1.122,192.168.1.133) then disable DHCP, save and reconnect. Then your done and IP won't change.

edit IPV4 ip is what your looking for on windows

Last edited:
Hi all I tried getting ipv4 from ipconfig screen on computer and came up with 192.168.2.x I then went to wled on digquad and set ip address to 192.168.2.xx and then turned dhcp off in router , rebooted and couldn’t connect to wled I had to reset router to get back in this can’t be that hard but I’m just not getting it , how the whole networking process of assigning ip addresses works thanks for any help or direction

No need to turn off DHCP in your router .
Just assign the static IP 192.168,2.xxx
assign gateway IP 192.168.2.x <---- same as router IP
and subnet 255 255 255

save and Reboot Wled

open a browser and enter the WLED static IP you assigned .

else install WLED app on your phone and it will find your device.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone I believe that worked but I had to use ipv4 for gateway ip .i will try again tomorrow evening and make sure everything still works

Back