New member, lots to learn

lowrdsdime

Hi, I have been following this forum since November and have gotten myself excited to start animating. I was wondering if it is possible to buy a built 595 and if so how much do they run? I am not all that gifted when it comes to making my own boards but would be more than willing to pay for a board. I have many other questions but I will post them in their respective topic sections, thank you.

I am new also I got lucky and like ppohlman said one of the members where upgrading too new board I was able too purchase the old one off them 24 channels it works for a older board I did pay $100 plus shipping for it but at least it is a working board better than paying $300 too $400 for one of them 16 channel things out there good luck in your endeavors I am also new too this but it is a lot of fun once you really get into it but be careful the cash will fly out your pocket without you knowing

I am also new and was lucky enough to purchase some populated older boards and sequence 5 songs and run a mediocre show but was proud because I did it. Keep an eye on the for sale thread at times there are some deals. Good luck and enjoy.

Welcome back lowrdsdime! I'd recommend starting with newer boards than a 595. The dimming capabilities of newer boards such as Standard Series 24s or Renard LSD 48s are well worth it. Also, and sorry if I'm repeating the obvious, you should consider matching the "general" board type with the type of lights you plan to use next year; incandescent mini-lights, "dumb" RGB LEDs, or pixel LEDs. This forum's wiki has plenty of information in this regard.

Lastly, if one's display had made ONE person smile, then it is far from mediocre!

I am also new and was lucky enough to purchase some populated older boards and sequence 5 songs and run a mediocre show but was proud because I did it. Keep an eye on the for sale thread at times there are some deals. Good luck and enjoy.

No such thing as a mediocre show. Anything you put up is better than a dark home. If it blinks, its great.

Welcome.... one thing to remember about this hobby is that WE are the reason we spend so much.... It's the changing and growing my display that costs so darn much... I would have spent very little on upkeep yearly after year one if I didn't choose to make it different....

Do it on your own schedule... at your own pace... Don't break the bank... any display is a good display...

I am new too.. I was worried as we'll about populating a board. I watched waynej's soldering video and have now successfully complete building three Renard SS16 boards. It's not too difficult with the right tools and some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wish I could afford all that kinda hard off 1 ssd check and 2 people too support but doing what I can

I doubt anyone on this hobby just jumped up and started a 1000 channel system. Most have built for years and years, growing and expanding each winter. Buying unsold lights just before Xmas helps keep costs down too. And most don't pull out old stuff when they add new tech and new gear. At least I do not so so till I'm sick of working so hard with the old device.

This hobby requires tech skill, artistic skill, patience, ability to plan, patience, troubleshooting, patience... ;). And a pretty hefty dose of gumption because getting started takes a lot of work.

I doubt anyone on this hobby just jumped up and started a 1000 channel system. Most have built for years and years, growing and expanding each winter. Buying unsold lights just before Xmas helps keep costs down too. And most don't pull out old stuff when they add new tech and new gear. At least I do not so so till I'm sick of working so hard with the old device.

This hobby requires tech skill, artistic skill, patience, ability to plan, patience, troubleshooting, patience... ;). And a pretty hefty dose of gumption because getting started takes a lot of work.

and Patience.

Welcome to the wonderful world of lighting madness.
I used an arduino based system last being my first went reasonably well.
I recommend the ren 48 lsd v3c if your using strips.
Works a treat and easy to setup if you do it right.
Good luck.

Welcome to the wonderful world of lighting madness.
I used an arduino based system last being my first went reasonably well.
I recommend the ren 48 lsd v3c if your using strips.
Works a treat and easy to setup if you do it right.
Good luck.

That should say last year being first year.

Warning Will Robinson, Warning!

Welcome!

As I sit here typing this I'm watching 100 Pixabulbs chasing across my front porch in a test. Spent more on them and their controllers then I did in a typical year with my static display. But I'm dreaming as I watch them chase of what I can do with MORE!

You have been warned!:twisted:

[And did I say it? WELCOME!]

Back