New user with trouble connecting Vixen to Renard 16 board

Rand0man

Ok, my son and I have just completed soldering and testing our new Renard16 board. We installed Vixen 2.1. We have a USB to serial port connector. The computer recognizes it as COM port 4. So it appears drivers are installed correctly, software is installed, and we followed all the videos. However, Vixen isn't connecting to the board. Please help. I've searched all the posts and can't seem to find a solution.

ok you say a usb too serial connector did you make the adapter too take it from serial too rj45 if so did you wire it too the right wiring for the renard boards

you have something like this and have the adapter below it?
450px-Unitek_USB_to_RS232_Converter.JPG

DE9_to_RJ45_Adapter.JPG

Is your USB-Serial adapter RS-232 or RS-485? If RS-232 you must have JP1 set on the board - if RS-485, it must be off. JP2 and JP3 should be off.

I assume you really mean you have a RenSS16? (there is/was a Ren16 but they are pretty ancient...).

Is your USB-Serial adapter RS-232 or RS-485? If RS-232 you must have JP1 set on the board - if RS-485, it must be off. JP2 and JP3 should be off.

I assume you really mean you have a RenSS16? (there is/was a Ren16 but they are pretty ancient...).

The adapter is RS-232, and all jumpers are set correctly. I should clarify about my issue; we have a small Vixen test sequence set up, and we can't figure out how to get the Vixen sequence to 'come out' of the Renard board. And yes, it is an SS-16 ;)

ok you say a usb too serial connector did you make the adapter too take it from serial too rj45 if so did you wire it too the right wiring for the renard boards

you have something like this and have the adapter below it?
View attachment 29447

View attachment 29448

My Renard board has an RS-232 pot on it, so I didn't think additional conversion was necessary. I do have a CAT5 -> RS-485 converter that I received from Wayne's starter kit, but that's currently not in use.

My Renard board has an RS-232 pot on it, so I didn't think additional conversion was necessary. I do have a CAT5 -> RS-485 converter that I received from Wayne's starter kit, but that's currently not in use.

The usb/rs485 adapter I sent with the starter kit used in conjuction with the rs485/cat5 converter is tried and true. Just use that that setup plugged into the "IN" rj45 port on the SS16 and you should be good.

The usb/rs485 adapter I sent with the starter kit used in conjuction with the rs485/cat5 converter is tried and true. Just use that that setup plugged into the "IN" rj45 port on the SS16 and you should be good.

OK - so if that's the case then he should NOT have the jumper on JP1 - so basically all jumpers off.

Question. Did you put the diagnostic pic in to make sure your board is working? Just a thought.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Question. Did you put the diagnostic pic in to make sure your board is working? Just a thought.

Well, now I've got another issue. I have absolutely no idea how to program my pic, as the instructions that I followed for the PicKit 3 didn't work. Granted, I figured out it's a knockoff programmer, but I may need to make another thread about this.

Edit: I don't know where to put questions regarding programming of PICs, so I'll add it to this thread.

I followed the PDF that Wayne provided for programming PICs using the PICKit 3. I get the following error when trying to connect to the PIC:

Code:
Target Device ID (00000000) does not match expected ID (00001180)

I tried to proceed past this, but it doesn't seem that the IDE will write to it after that.

I realized after reading this thread: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?39520-Need-Your-Help-Please-PicKit-3
that my PICKit is a knockoff, if that helps at all.

If anyone has some answers, I'd highly appreciate them.

Last edited:
If this is one of Wayne's kits, and I think you did elude to that fact, then there should be a pic with a silver slash on it. That's the preprogrammed pic. Install it in U6. Put a jumper on J3. Then turn on the Renard. Watch the lights. Check out the wiki on trouble shooting to see which lights turn on. If you don't get anything then there's something wrong.
It's possible the running pic may not be programmed. This happened to a few of us that got kits from the group buy. Following Wayne's instruction I programmed mine when I received my pickit.

Last edited:
It is one of Wayne's kits. However, after we verified the physical hardware was working as expected, we couldn't get the connection established. So I attempted to reflash both with the operational firmware supplied in Wayne's post, but it doesn't seem to have worked. I'm now getting the error described above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't say it's your knockoff that's the issue. I had the same problem you had. Everything checked out and it ended up being a bad pic. This pickit is a picture of the one Taz had and I have the same one.
de9f7a9bd25e1d6931ddd5bbff3dc144.jpg

If this is one of Wayne's kits, and I think you did elude to that fact, then there should be a pic with a silver slash on it. That's the preprogrammed pic. Install it in U6. Put a jumper on J3. Then turn on the Renard. Watch the lights. Check out the wiki on trouble shooting to see which lights turn on. If you don't get anything then there's something wrong.
It's possible the running pic may not be programmed. This happened to a few of us that got kits from the group buy. Following Wayne's instruction I programmed mine when I received my pickit.

Sorry, but, I do not send a diagnostic PIC with my kits.

Oh, okay Wayne. Seems to me he would need to program one to make sure his board works. Would I be correct in saying that? I just wanted to pass along what I've learned from you this year.

The kit was awesome and it was very exciting to get power coming through all the channels. We're just one step away, but I'm just a little lost on what to do next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, not sure if the PICs have been erased or not. Hopefully not. Did you install the the usb/485 adapter that came with the kit?

Back