New Windows

bleedblue83

Hey Everyone,

Any help I can get would be appreciated. I just had new windows installed and I need to find a way to hang my lights around the outside of my windows for my LOR show. In the past, I have always used a white finishing nail and attach the cords to them. I have tried 3M hooks but they do not seem to hold up in the elements. Any suggestions so that I don't have to void out my warranty with the window company ?

Are the windows set in at all? Meaning is there a ledge all around that you could build a frame that incorporates a reverse type vice that would press outward against the ledge holding it in place? That's how my dad built his hurricane shutters so he didn't have to make any holes and it held strong.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Are the windows set in at all? Meaning is there a ledge all around that you could build a frame that incorporates a reverse type vice that would press outward against the ledge holding it in place? That's how my dad built his hurricane shutters so he didn't have to make any holes and it held strong.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

this is why a picture would help if we knew how they are we could help answer this for him

I'm sorry, I am not at home right now and I can try and post one tomorrow. They are basically flush with the siding and the gaps that were left are wrapped with aluminum. Let me see if I have one on my phone that has an overall of the house.

picture didnt work
404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

Here is the link to a picture that I have from when the windows were installed. They aren't completely installed in the photos but you can see they are flat mounted on the face of the house. There is a white aluminum flashing that fills in the spaces between the window and the house.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP2mQk-8sh8uYY-ZYkO06OTo7ZXa-DiVwoUFg2r

It would not let me upload a picture because it was too large. Do you know anything about how to share a photo from google photos?

ok I can say I lived in house had meatl siding and shutters I used zip ties and ran then around the shutter to give me place to hold my incandescent lights I ran zip tie through the slat at top and out and round and held the wire

I've had good luck with the command strips. I put some up last November and they are still there. The surface must be extremely clean ( should not be a problem with new windows). The only problems I had was when I tried to add a couple late November after the temps had dropped. They hold up in cold weather if applied in warm weather but don't like to stick when you apply them to an ice cold surface.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I use a PVC Pipe Frame for my windows and have clips (painted to match) mounted on my shutters to hold the frames.

I use a PVC Pipe Frame for my windows and have clips (painted to match) mounted on my shutters to hold the frames.

Are the shutters the only support structure for the whole frame? Do you have any photos you could share? I find J channel 10x easier to drill than 1/2" PVC and I'm stuck in a similar situation where my windows are a white vinyl 1.25" edge (with the siding coming in behind that white edge). I'm really hesitant to drill into that white edge and I've wondered if the shutters can withstand the weight of a PVC frame. The more I think this through, the more I think J channel would work well because the longer side of the J could "rest against" the shutter's side, lay on the top edge, etc. The bay windows have no shutters so that'll complicate things for me for sure.

windows.png

Attachments

• windows.jpg
    windows.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 31
Back