New ws2811 chip and E682

Franchise

I had previously made a post that I had an issue with some light strands getting stuck on a color. Everybody I talked to figured it was due to overloading the power supply, which made sense because I was running a lot of lights off of one E682. So I just put together a new E682 and put that on the 600 bulbs that were giving me a problem. They still got stuck! But that got me thinking, these 600 were new ones from Ray. My other ~2000 older bulbs from Ray were all doing fine. So I sent Ray an email. He responded that the Ws2811 chip had some change this year on the timing and I probably need to do a firmware upgrade on the E682. I'm currently running v4 something. Will version 5 help? I sent an email to SanDevices just a little bit ago so I haven't heard back yet.

Anybody else seeing this issue? Any advice?

I changed the timing settings to each option with no change in flickering. But thanks for the suggestion.

Thats BS. I just finished removing the last of Ray Wu's recent junk from my show. The pixels flickered and froze at random times. Verified voltage and data and replaced pixels every night. Removed most of them last year. Ywo weeks ago I had another prop doing the same thing. Tracked down the bad pixel and it was a pair of the peices of junk from RW. Took them out and replaced with other pixels. Worked perfectly.

Thats BS. I just finished removing the last of Ray Wu's recent junk from my show. The pixels flickered and froze at random times. Verified voltage and data and replaced pixels every night. Removed most of them last year. Ywo weeks ago I had another prop doing the same thing. Tracked down the bad pixel and it was a pair of the peices of junk from RW. Took them out and replaced with other pixels. Worked perfectly.

So you think his stuff is just junk? In the past, his stuff has been great, made it through a hurricane for me, lasted for years. Is the recent stuff not as good? How can I determine if it is a new chip problem, or if it is a poor product?

Three years ago there were people on this forum complaining about a design change by RW. It was tracked down to the removal of bypass caps. RW claimed a chip change that allowed them to be removed. That was the first sign of junk. The next year I bought 2000 pixels from him and he promised the cap was back on the board. I had 5-10 failures every night. Nursed them through the season and then replaced them. Opened one up and saw that the chip looked like a knockoff (No clear world semi logo) and no bypass caps. This year some straglers that had been used as replacement pixels showed their ugly heads.

FYI: the only timing change from World Semi was a few years ago when they changed the inter frame gap from 50us to 300us. World Semi has not changed the bit timing for a long time. So telling you there has been a timing change from World Semi is total BS.

Glad you said that about the pixel chip changing being BS but SanDevices need the update to V5 to deal with all newer pixels. This is quite a few years old problem.

Glad you said that about the pixel chip changing being BS but SanDevices need the update to V5 to deal with all newer pixels. This is quite a few years old problem.

I got the data sheet from Ray and sent it to SanDevices. He said give him a day or two to make the change. Clearly, you all understand this issue a lot better than I do.

Three years ago there were people on this forum complaining about a design change by RW. It was tracked down to the removal of bypass caps. RW claimed a chip change that allowed them to be removed. That was the first sign of junk. The next year I bought 2000 pixels from him and he promised the cap was back on the board. I had 5-10 failures every night. Nursed them through the season and then replaced them. Opened one up and saw that the chip looked like a knockoff (No clear world semi logo) and no bypass caps. This year some straglers that had been used as replacement pixels showed their ugly heads.

FYI: the only timing change from World Semi was a few years ago when they changed the inter frame gap from 50us to 300us. World Semi has not changed the bit timing for a long time. So telling you there has been a timing change from World Semi is total BS.

Where else should I buy my lights?

Back