Newbie Controller Build

tomkinsong

I've thought long and hard about what I want out of this new hobby and figured I'd get a decent controller right off the bat - regardless of whether or not I used its full potential. I landed on the Falcon F48v4NS Differential Controller with Smart Receivers placed where I wanted them. I also had a couple of Pixel Stick Controllers that I initially purchased when I was on the fence about taking up the hobby. No going back now! :biggrin2:

I've read a great deal about power injection and keeping heavy loads off the main controller, so I've gone that route. The exceptions are the Pixel Sticks but those are pretty cheap to replace. I've replaced the controller boards that came with the Pixel Sticks with WEMOS D1 Mini Pros, these have external antennas that help with the Wi-Fi signal - as I've housed them in conduit outlet boxes.

For the F48, I opted for the 2500 box from HolidayCoro together with a few different mounting plates so that I could modify them if I needed. I squeezed a fair bit of kit in here. On the bottom are 2x 12V 350W power supplies and on top of that is the F48. Another layer up is a 5V supply with a 5V distribution board, this powers the F48 and one Smart Receiver. The topmost layer is a 12V distribution board for the power injection. I've passed 6x ethernet ports to the bottom for external Smart Receivers that will be located in other boxes (yet to build them). I wish I had thought about the holes in the bottom a little more, I most definitely could have squeezed in a few more ethernet connectors in there. Ah well, next time...

I plan on putting a fan in the front of the box at some point to deal with potential heat issues.

Anyways, aside from my lack of thought for the cabling holes, I'm pretty happy with the build.

PXL_20230211_183736722.jpg PXL_20230211_183743111.jpg PXL_20230211_183804614.jpg PXL_20230211_184327993.jpg PXL_20230211_183907801.jpg

I'm planning on running the controllers wirelessly as FPP Remotes from an outdoor access point. A wired BBB will be in the basement acting as the Falcon Player Master. Worst case, I have to run ethernet outside to the F48 but we will see!

Cheers, Gary

Looks great Gary! Love your pixel stick enclosures. I was just looking at some similar ones the other day. Any idea what your lighting layout will look like (window outlines, roof/house outlines, mega tree(s), snowflakes, etc.)?

Depending on where you are located and when you run your show, you might not need the fan. I bought some my first year and ended up not putting them in. I only run my lights for Christmas and figured a fan opening would just be a source for moisture to enter the controller boxes. My power supplies all have built in fans, so the air inside is at least being circulated. So far, so good!

Looks great Gary! Love your pixel stick enclosures. I was just looking at some similar ones the other day. Any idea what your lighting layout will look like (window outlines, roof/house outlines, mega tree(s), snowflakes, etc.)?

Depending on where you are located and when you run your show, you might not need the fan. I bought some my first year and ended up not putting them in. I only run my lights for Christmas and figured a fan opening would just be a source for moisture to enter the controller boxes. My power supplies all have built in fans, so the air inside is at least being circulated. So far, so good!
I'm still on the fence about the fan. Right now, I'm just getting started and while it's so tempting to go all in with extra props, I'm concentrating on just the house outline for now

I've made a change to the box I've built based on something I read. If you look at the injector card, you'll see two red power cables coming into it - one from each power supply. That's apparently a big no no so I've since removed one of the power supplies. I've also added an external Wi-Fi antenna which works really well with the controller.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Back