Not fadeing

So got a 8 ch ssr. I was told some where that I'd be able to fade lights with it. So far it only turns on and then off. Any ideas? I could be wrong about the fading part

Yes, non zero cross or random cross.

Very brief explaination...
The Solid State Relays (actually the opto-isolators in them) come in zero-cross and random-cross. Zero-cross means it only activates the Traic when the AC voltage is zero. This keeps the voltage AC wave from being chopped and is advantageous when noise on the circuit could cause problems. Random-cross will turn the Triac on at anytime and will allow a partial wave, this is how we dim the circuit, turn it on for a portion of the AC voltage wave and off again at the next zero.

That relay needs an additional controller to drive it. FYI: That relay has a built in Zero Cross circuit. This means you cannot (easily) use it for dimming. It is an on/off type of device designed to be driven by an arduino type device.

That relay needs an additional controller to drive it. FYI: That relay has a built in Zero Cross circuit. This means you cannot (easily) use it for dimming. It is an on/off type of device designed to be driven by an arduino type device.

It worked fine when I used the gpio pins it just won't dim. So if I got a non zero cross would I be able to do dimming through the gpio pins

Yes you would. Then you could send out a timed pulse to trigger the SSR at various parts of the AC cycle so you get almost any brightness you like. NOTE: I suggest you look into a controller that knows how to do dimming. You can get a list of them on the wiki. My favorite is the Renard series of controllers.

Hi, so you don't end up with an item that doesn't do as you expect again, if you look at the part number on the relays G3MB 202P. You need the G3MB 202PL the P is zero crossing the PL is non zero crossing.

Hi, so you don't end up with an item that doesn't do as you expect again, if you look at the part number on the relays G3MB 202P. You need the G3MB 202PL the P is zero crossing the PL is non zero crossing.

I'm not finding anything. I found one vid where a guy swapped the ssr but I don't want to do that.

Then you might want to look into the dirk cheap ssrs. They come in kit form but with the mass migration to pixels, I am sure someone may be willing to sell some of their used ones. I think I may even be willing to part with a few. I still use a mix of AC and pixels in my show but most of my show is now pixels.

Then you might want to look into the dirk cheap ssrs. They come in kit form but with the mass migration to pixels, I am sure someone may be willing to sell some of their used ones. I think I may even be willing to part with a few. I still use a mix of AC and pixels in my show but most of my show is now pixels.

How do I connect a dirk up with my system. And how many channels do you have on one dirk

Any controller that drives a dimmable remote SSR. They have an RJ45 connector that is used to send data to it. My Renard controllers use a CAT5/6 cable to go between the controller and the SSR. I have had the SSR as far as 60' from the controller using CAT6 with no visible issues.

No. The data on the CAT5 cable is a PWM signal that is in sync with the AC line. It is not in any way related to Ethernet (which is what your router is using). The choice of using a CAT5/6 cable gives a few advantages:

Cables are easy to source (buy or make)
Cables are pretty cheap
cables are relatively noise free (read as can go a long way and still work)
you can control up to four SSR channels easily through them.
connectors for the pcb are cheap.
cables store nicely in the off season.

No. The data on the CAT5 cable is a PWM signal that is in sync with the AC line. It is not in any way related to Ethernet (which is what your router is using). The choice of using a CAT5/6 cable gives a few advantages:

Cables are easy to source (buy or make)
Cables are pretty cheap
cables are relatively noise free (read as can go a long way and still work)
you can control up to four SSR channels easily through them.
connectors for the pcb are cheap.
cables store nicely in the off season.

Side note Cat5/6 is Ethernet. You said earlier that you'd be willing to part with some. Are you still willing?

Side note Cat5/6 is Ethernet. You said earlier that you'd be willing to part with some. Are you still willing?

CAT specifies a cable type (N pairs of twisted wire) 5/6 specifies grade of wire and shielding.

Ethernet (in its current common usage) describes a level 2 (MAC) protocol stack that used to run primarily over coax (10/100 base-2) but has shifted over time to primarily running over twisted pair wire sets (10/100/1000 base-T) and Wireless (802.11[b/g/n/a/c]).

For AC SSRs of the SSRez and dirk cheap SSR type, we use the good data quality characteristics of the CAT5/6 cables to carry the PWM signal that is used to trigger the triacs in the SSR. The PWM signal is actually an analog signal with zero and not zero as its primary states. When the voltage on a signal line approaches zero, the circuitry in the AC SSR causes the triac to turn on.

If you are asking me about selling some of my AC SSRs, yes I would be willing to sell a few of them. You can PM me and we can agree on a price. Depending on how many you want, they would most likely fit in a flat rate US Postal box.

Hi, I've just cheacked out the spec on these and they look cool but are 220V DC only outputs (they would work with full wave rectified led or incan strings) that are supplied from AC mains that is less than 155V. So fine for the US - don't buy this board if you are in the UK.

Back