Nutcracker: Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm - I don't know if it was the same exact error but I had Vixen crash on me as well while doing an import. This was with a routine that I had previously that was 1-second long. I assumed it was just a corrupted download and so I recreated it but at 10 seconds and it worked OK after that. Mine was a butterfly sequence.

Hi Brian,

After reviewing the file you send me I noticed there was spaces bewteen lines. I removed them and added etra space at end of first line and I was able to load it.

Ex of wrong:
0 0 0 0 0 255 0

0 0 0 0 255 0 0

Should be:
0 0 0 0 0 255 0
0 0 0 0 255 0 0​

Sean:

Maybe there is a bug while creating the .vir file that is creating the extra empty line.​

Emmanuel

Tried to make a new file from Nutcracker again, twice changed timing on the second one. Neither worked with Vixen. Same error. Tried to PM and post file but DIYC won't let me post it either way.

Brian

I will look into it when I get home tonight. I am in Colorado springs today (about 70 miles from my home). I am performing in a couple of concerts today. I will get home around 10pm, I think this bug was introduced when I added the code to make sure I output blank channels. For any channel that is never used by nutcracker I output a row of zeroes. Maybe there is an extra line feed there.

Thanks

Hi I tried to FTP download the tutorals, but I could not even get past logging on. Went to FTP.nutcracker123.com and get the little window open asking me to log on. So, I tried to use the "nutcracker" with the password "xfer1011" as noted in the first post. Did I do something wrong? As long as I have been around computers, FTP has not be a big usage in my life. Only done maybe half dozen in my 54 yrs. Thanks

Hi Sean,
THanks, Just a few days ago I did the download from the first post over on the other thread and think it was supposed to have loaded filezilla. Have to admit at this moment my head is spinning and trying to get a grasp on it all. Not sure if it even loaded properly. I can log into nutcracker and the gifs are missing. I must be doing something wrong but do not want to get into it at this time. Might be I just not doing it right and need to watch the tutorals some more first. Take a few notes about how it is done. Got to be a faster way to do what I am trying to do in LOR. Got two 50 pixel strings. Want to use them as 4 arches, 25 pixels each. Want to be able to turn on one color across all 4 arches and have a bouncing pixel of a different color. Dang it is slow hard work to do manual in LOR. Hoping that Nutcracker can help. But I regress, I need to learn how to do just a simple arch with bouncing pixel or multi pixels on one arch and all 4 arches.
Thanks
Once I see how this works, will give you something to show you my gratitude for your efforts.

Hey Sean and folks,

I am thinking of taking a stab at trying to use th Nutcracker/Xlights with my vixen 2.1 and have downloaded it a while back but not played with it yet. May I make a suggestion for "non-technical" folks on here. Sean I know you are working feverishly on making Nutcracker better by the day, but was wondering if maybe someone could make a thread/sticky that is something like "beginners nutcracker" and might have a step by step tutorial on how to get started and what videos to watch in what steps. I know there are a lot of videos/tutorials you have put out there but they seem to be in different places or threads and I for one am not for sure where to get started and go from there. i know people on here will say well get started with this video but I think there would be a lot of folks on here that want to attempt to try this but are overwhelmed by all the info in different threads and such. Maybe something like this:

Here is where you start you basic quest into the world of Nutcracker/xlights+Vixen:

watch this tutorial.........

now that you have downloaded and watched this tutorial you can

move onto this tutorial.............

and maybe give a brief description of what each tutorial will be teaching you.

Thinking this would walk each person through the steps of how to get started and have a simple step by step process that is not confusing. I know I am computer challenged but really want to consider a matrix this year but do to the overwhelming nature of the new software I am shying away from it again. I know if I have a single sticky that had all the info/video tutorials in one place and in order it would greatly help me push forward with this.

Once again I know you are busy but maybe someone is helping you and has a good understanding would consider taking this on for us "challenged" folks who want to try this out. From what I have been reading and people talking this is the way I want to proceed but need some better guidance.

Thanks for all youve done Sean.

Also I just tried watching some of the videos in one of the early threads(3rd or 4th I think) and I keep getting an error? Am I doing something wrong?

I have installed this twice (xlights) and both times it cuts off half of the left panel of nutcracker. Has this happened to anyone else?
I can't drag the slide to expand it either.

Edit: add picture

ScreenHunter_049.jpg

Last edited:
I downloaded it last night on my laptop and had no issues

I just installed it on one of my laptops and same issue. Both my laptop and desktop are XP machines. Wonder if that has something to do with it?

Hi Wayne
I reported this bug months ago
Its useless on a small/4:3 display
I thinks the fix suggested was to buy a big screen!

Edit
just found the thread called "3.0.6 problem" in Nutcracker
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?26008-3-0-6-Problem&p=264063#post264063

I have installed this twice (xlights) and both times it cuts off half of the left panel of nutcracker. Has this happened to anyone else?
I can't drag the slide to expand it either.

Edit: add picture

View attachment 19572

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back