Okay, Who is going be first?

Wasn't this a prize for a recent Instructables contest?

Officially on my want list - would look cooler on my bike than spokey-dokes (or footy cards) ;)

Check out Ladyada.net

My son and I built a similar unit 2 years ago for our bikes.

For a display, I'd suggest taking a front wheel and fork assembly from a bike and mounting a 1/4hp electric motor to the base with a friction drive.

I thought i saw something like that before but i was not sure. The process seems pretty straight forward but the use for that is endless.
:p

Got me thinking.. The bit that i dont' have an answer for is how to get control to the boards that are spinning.. THe Ladyada board doe'snt have one of those..

In a sequenced display you'd need a way of getting some sort of control signal.. I think i need some kind of wireless link.. And it woud'nt need to be too fast..

The bit that i dont' have an answer for is how to get control to the boards that are spinning.. THe Ladyada board doe'snt have one of those..

The 2 most common ways appear to be a slipring or RF. Elsewhere on the web I read of someone who successfully used a slipring, but you may need to add some noise filtering due to sending the signal thru a mechanical movement. I think they used a 12V signal and it worked reasonably well. There was also another approach that used the armature of a motor but I think that was just to supply power and not a data signal.

don

Back