OKC Area Mini-PLUS 2011

Please Help Us Select a Date for the Mini-PLUS

• Other Date (Please post your preference below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gmbartlett

The Christmas decorations are put away. The yard looks barren. All the hard work is finally over.

Now it is time to start planning for next season!!

[size=+2]I would like to announce our 6th annual central Oklahoma Mini Plus.[/size]

As with the last few years I will be co-hosting this with Tom (aka Santas Helper) at my house in Norman.

Date: TBD (please vote on the proposed dates above)
Location: 1103 Little River Rd, Norman (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...468,-97.424985&spn=0.001318,0.003259&t=h&z=19)
Time: 1:00 pm until ???
Admission: Free as always

[size=+1]Open to all DIYC members and families!!! Newbies and Oldies.[/size]

We plan to continue the same free style, free form get together that has worked very well for us in the past. However, last year we tried something a little different. I gave a semi-formal presentation on mega-trees. We would like to try and continue this new tradition this year. I will be giving a presentation on my custom DIY Helix Light Controller. It would be great if we could get a couple of people to provide similar presentations also. (Personally I would like to see a presentation on how to build a tuned dipole FM antenna.)

There are several other topics that are possibilities for presentations such as:
1) Leaping Arches
2) Mini Trees
3) Sequencing
4) Anything you would like to present

If you would be willing to give a presentation please let me know. There will be an overhead projector connected to a computer for any presentations or videos.

The day of the Mini I will post a schedule of presentations so you can sit in on any of them you would like and hang out the rest of the time.

We will be providing a meat tray and other finger food so we can eat/munch at our own pace and spend more time on the fun stuff.

The only thing we ask, is for you to bring your thoughts, ideas and especially your humor.

If you are thinking, planning or have started on a project and want to ask/show/share, please do so!!!

There will be swap/trade/sale of items so bring those too.

Tom and I will provide updates with hotel info, maps and other events going on in the area during the Mini for family members not interested in the Mini and looking for something else to do.

Please stay tuned for updates.

Reminder: Your inputs are strongly recommended and appreciated.

If you have any questions, please post them here or PM me at GMBartlett or Tom at Santas Helper.

I vote it be moved to Southwest, VA. It looks like it is a real good event.

If you can swing it, you are certainly welcome to attend! You may even win the "traveled the farthest" award. At this time I'm not really sure what the award will be but I'm sure it will be great :lol:

Right now it will be going to a guy from Kingman, AZ that plans to attend. Besides OK, I've also had commitments from people from TX and LA.

Right now it will be going to a guy from Kingman, AZ that plans to attend. Besides OK, I've also had commitments from people from TX and LA.
Wow!!! I would like to go and meet some of the other diyc members and PC members, but that's to far for me to drive and I dont like to fly. Thank you for the personal invite, it's nice to feel welcome.

I voted for the 16th, April 9th is Nascar at TMS and I promised my fellow campers that I'd do a light show again this year. Wasn't sure if the 16th would work but it sounds like my daughter Katie is shooting for early March for her wedding.

My wife's mother is in Ardmore, I'll see what she thinks about visiting in April.

It would be great if you can make it.

One thing I didn't mention above is that we usually have a pre-Mini get together Friday night at Bricktown in OKC. This is a very informal pre-meeting get to know you and catch up. The cohost, Tom aka Santa's Helper, has a really cool 3D haunted dungeon dark ride in Bricktown. We usually meet and hang out at his ride. In the past Tom has arranged a ride on the canal boats and lets us take a ride through his dungeon. This is just a little more fun for those people that have to travel a ways. As far as I know at this time we will be doing it again this year.

Greg,
Has a date been set? I have to plan at least a month in advance, so the sooner the date is set, the better for me. I very much would like to attend. I miss out on most of these because they are not posted enough in advance, or I am out of town. I can visit relatives in Tulsa while I am there.
Thanks,
Keith

Greg,
Has a date been set? I have to plan at least a month in advance, so the sooner the date is set, the better for me. I very much would like to attend. I miss out on most of these because they are not posted enough in advance, or I am out of town. I can visit relatives in Tulsa while I am there.
Thanks,
Keith

Hi Keith,

All I can say is DOUH! I posted the date on PC but forgot to post it here. Sorry for the delay.

Based upon the results of this poll and the one on PC I've decided to host the OKC Area Mini on 16 April 2011. We will officially start at 1:00 pm but if anyone would like to come early you will be welcome. I would appreciate the help setting up/preparing.

I'm still looking for people willing to give a short semi-formal presentation. Ideally it would include a demo of how to build or setup something but anything would be great. If you would be willing to do this please let me know.

I look forward to seeing everyone again. Just 1 1/2 months to go.

Only one month until the 2011 OKC Area Mini. If anyone has questions or needs anything please post here or send a PM to me.

See everyone in a month,

How many people are planning on coming so far? I live in Marlow, OK ... just south of Chickasha.

I don't have a good count for this year, but last year we had about 25 people show up. I believe it will be more this year. It's always a good time and best of all it is free!

Only three more weeks until the OKC Area Mini.

I should be finished cleaning out the garage this weekend so we will have plenty of room to show off.

See you soon.

hmmm, OKC huh?
april 16 huh?
hmmmm

may be able to be there!
not 100% positive, but it is a goal.
i would love to meet others that are SORT of in my area.

so it IS for sure the 16th, correct?
there was mention about getting together on the 15th for a haunted house of sorts?
will you be contacting us to confirm, or what?
and finally, is there an address that i can put in the gps to get there?

thank you - this sounds real interesting :)

so it IS for sure the 16th, correct?
there was mention about getting together on the 15th for a haunted house of sorts?
will you be contacting us to confirm, or what?
and finally, is there an address that i can put in the gps to get there?

thank you - this sounds real interesting :)

It is for sure the 16th of April from 1:00 pm until ???

Unfortunately the get together for the evening of 15 April will have to change. This was for people that were coming in from out of town and wanted to get together for a meet and greet the night before. Our usual meeting place was a haunted dungeon ride in bricktown that is owned/operated by the co-host of the OKC Area Mini. However he has lost his lease on the ride location and is in the process of moving out. If anyone would still like to get together on the 15 for dinner at bricktown I can arrange a new meeting place.

I've been posting updates here and I've been sending email reminders to past participants. If you would like to be included on the emails please send your address to me via a PM.

The address is in the first post but I'll repeat it here:
1103 Little River Rd.
Norman, OK 73071

If you have any other questions please let me know.

are there hotels that you recommend or encourage us to avoid?
looking online, there seems to be too many to know...

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Back