Olson 595 Some Channels not turning on

Keith7675

I have searched the forum for a solution but can't find anything. I have found a lot about flickering lights (turning on when they shouldn't) but not much on them not turning on when they should. I am using an Olson 595 board and the odler version of Vixen (2.1). I have tested all channels prior to setting up the display. But when running my sequences now not all the channels are turning on when they should. What is interesting is that as I've been trying to debug it I can get the channels to turn on if I use the test channels function in Vixen but only under a certain scenario. If I click thgrough each channel individually some channels do not turn on but if I turn all of them on at once the channels that would not turn on now come on.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I am using 64 channels. Channels 1 to 33 are working as expected but channels 33 to 64 exhibit the issue described above. I have also tried vixen 2.5 and 3 and I have the same issue. I'm thinking I have some thing in the plug in set up wrong or com port settings.

Last edited:
Just a heads up that the first question you will be asked by the experts is, are you running from a parallel port or through a Ren-C.

You say "com port settings" so I am presuming through a Ren-C is that correct.

Last edited:
Through a parallel port. I also just found your post from a few years back. Sounds like I have the same problem. Symptoms are almost identical. Problem is the computer I have does not have an EPP mode for the parallel port. I've tried all the modes and none seem to correct my problem.

Are you supplying 5volts from computer to run Olson, if so just for the hek of it put a diode in supply line to Olson, sometimes the data volts can be low and a trick I found here was to bring them closer in voltage, if you know what I mean. This is asuming you have all connections correct. Have to admit for the cost of a Ren-C this would get you going, or if you are worried about programming the chip in the Ren-C theirs plenty of folks only to pleased to help.

I'll try the diode trick tonight. Plan to move to the Renard board just no time this year but wanted to get a few more of my channels working, even though it is getting late in the season. Thanks for the tip.

Back