Pickit3 driving me nuts

woganaga

Hey Renard/PIC Experts -

I see posts on the microchip and other microcontroller forums, but no real solutions, wondering if anyone has any thoughts here...

I am running Windows 10. My PicKit3 successfully connects about 1 out of every 20 times.... I have made various registry changes to the USB Port for power management and tried installing the device while "requiring a device signature" is turned off. Tried using MPLAB 8 as well as the current verison of MPLAB X... Based on all my research it is either: I have a flakey Pickit3, or WIndows 10 and Pickit3 just don't play well together... I ended up buying a second pickit 3 (which is just returned) and it has the same issue.
I also tried unplugging ALL my USB devices (including the keyboard/mouse) and going in through remote desktop... same issue but it seems to work a little better....

This is my first time working with PIC, for some reason i had assumed flashing a PIC would be similar to the Arduino process i.e. with a simple FTDI USB->TTL converter...

My next course of action was to get one of these serial port programmers: https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Programmers/PIC-PG2/ and use PICPgm on a raspberryPI - does anyone have any experience with this toolchain? Is there a way to my Arduino USB Flasher with PicPGM to flash the PIC chip? Do these tools install the bootloader as well or is only a Pickit capable of installing the bootloader?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I use PicKit3 programmers on Windows 7 and 10 all the time with no issues.

I wonder if the issue isn't Windows 10, but something to do with the USB port you're plugging into?

I use PicKit3 programmers on Windows 7 and 10 all the time with no issues.

I wonder if the issue isn't Windows 10, but something to do with the USB port you're plugging into?

I do believe it was some sort of hardware problem with my USB port. It works with no problem on the old computer, so i'll keep that around as my PIC Programming station!

Back