Pickit3 issue

james70818

Master Rigger
I got my Pickit3 in today. I downloaded the latest version of MPLAB v8.43 and installed it. I go to the Programmer tab and select the PicKit3, teh output screen says no PicKit3 Connected. I connect it, and it starts destecting. The Connecting status bar on teh bottom left just scrolls over and over. On the pickit3 I have Green Power, Blue Active, and it looks like the Status LED has both the red and green leds on. All leds are solid on, with no blinking. Does this mean it is a bad PicKit?

mine just has green power and blue active lit.status light flashes red then goes solid green when selected. you might try rebooting.

Last edited:
ok, I pluged it into another laptop I was working on then back to my machine and it is fine.

Now in MPLAB I get an error

PICkit 3 detected
Connecting to PICkit 3...
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.25.14
Firmware type......................Midrange
PICkit 3 Connected.
PK3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use PICkit

Are you trying to read or write to a PIC chip. that is what that error looks like to me.

I got my Pickit3 in today. I downloaded the latest version of MPLAB v8.43 and installed it. I go to the Programmer tab and select the PicKit3, teh output screen says no PicKit3 Connected. I connect it, and it starts destecting. The Connecting status bar on teh bottom left just scrolls over and over. On the pickit3 I have Green Power, Blue Active, and it looks like the Status LED has both the red and green leds on. All leds are solid on, with no blinking. Does this mean it is a bad PicKit?

Check out this thread for instructions post # 78

Had the same issue with my PicKit3 today. Figured I would do some more reading up when I saw this thread. Turned out to be the same power issue.

Maybe a moderator could make these instructions for the PICKIT III a sticky, seems like a lot of folks are having this issue. It is posted on the wiki so maybe this link will help everyone who has a PICKIT III.

I see that now in the PicKit III PDF file. I started reading that then went to the videos instead since they started from the ASM code. Guess I should have gone back and finished reading that PDF.

Back