Pixel spacing guidelines

Razzle69

Supporting Member
Wondering if anyone has ever put together a chart of recommended pixel spacing over distance. The front of my house is about 100ft from the road. I want to do outlines and a Merry Christmas sign on the house. Put some mini trees spaced in the front yard. And hang meteor lights from the live tree, which is halfway between the house and the street. I may put leaping arches about 5ft from the road (house side of drainage ditch). Would I use the same spacing for everything or should I tighten spacing for props closer to the road? FYI, the MC sign is an old retail metal frame about 3ft wide. Currently has incandescent Xmas lights I intend to rewire in Pebble pixels. I will probably do some tests but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if it's already been done.

This has been discussed many times and no one can come to a consensus. The issue is too dependent on the opinion of the viewer.
There are a number of factors to weigh:
  • The further from the viewer from the pixels the wider your spacing can be.
  • The further the viewer is from the pixels the dimmer the pixels are.
  • Most of us run the pixels at reduced intensity.

At 50' I use three inch spacing and 75% intensity. I suspect 100' would need 3" (or even 2") at 100%
At 10' I use 1" spacing @ 30% intensity.

Thanks. That is a good place to start. When I used to work for a theatrical design firm we had guidelines for pixel density on LED screens to achieve certain resolutions at distance. I don't expect anything like that. Just some general guidelines work. I probably won't be doing any image mapping. at least not this year :)

Back