Planned 2010 Helix Updates

gmbartlett

As a new year begins I want to update everyone on the planned changes/updates I will be making to the Helix system. After fixing a small bug in the Helix firmware that didn’t show up until I setup my display, my Helix systems worked without a hitch this season. I now plan to implement several improvements that I’ve had my eye on for a while. These changes/updates will be mostly to the firmware and software but I will also be making a few changes to the hardware. Almost all of the changes will be backwardly compatible with the existing hardware.

Helix Firmware/Helix Network Supervisor Upgrades (in roughly priority order):

1. Add the capability to play music between shows. This is a low hanging fruit so I’m working on this first.

2. Add the capability to have different shows each day of the week. I’m actually making it so you can have up to nine different shows every night for a total of 63 different shows per week. This improvement is loosely tied to number one above so I’m developing it in tandem.

3. Implement the Check for Updates button on the Helix Network Supervisor. This will allow you to easily download the latest versions of the Helix Firmware and Helix Network Supervisor.

4. Add auto-configuration of the XBee radios. This feature was in the initial release of the firmware but I had to remove it for a couple of reasons. I’m now going to add it back in.

5. Add auto-reassociation of the XBee radios. One of the quirks of the XBee radios is the way they setup their network. The main radio is the network coordinator and all of the other radios are network nodes. The coordinator is responsible for establishing the network. The nodes associate with the coordinator. However, if the coordinator is turned off, the nodes don’t know they are no longer associated with it. When the coordinator comes back on line, it may not use the same channel to setup the network, as a result it has lost all contact with the nodes. I believe I’ve figured out a way to force the nodes to auto-reassociate with the coordinator if they ever lose contact. This will fix a lot of the issues people have seen where the Helix “is not responding”.

6. Add the capability to stop/start a show or sequence from the Network Supervisor. This would be useful during setup and to demo the display.

7. Add the capability to run test routines from the Network Supervisor. This would also be useful during setup and troubleshooting.

8. Add the capability to check the status of all of the Helix Main boards from the Network Supervisor.

The main purpose behind the development of the Helix system was to have a standalone controller (Mode 1). When I built my first controller, the Prop 128v1, it operated in what I now call Mode 2. My first year I was able to control 128 channels without a problem and according to the bandwidth it should be able control 256 channels. The Prop 128v1 is the heart of the Helix so I thought it too should be able to control up to 256 channels. After much work and frustration I still can’t get the Helix to control more than about 64 channels in Mode 2. This is very perplexing to me since as I said the relevant hardware is virtually identical as is the firmware. That is why I started trying to develop Mode 3. For 2009 I ran out of time to fully develop Mode 3 but I plan to get back to it. However, as I said, my main development efforts will be focused on Mode 1. As such I plan to also work on the next two items to help eliminate the need for Modes 2 and 3.

9. Add the capability to drive the Renard series of controllers. The Renard uses a serial RS485 input at a fairly slow baud rate. The Helix Daughter boards are driven by RS422 drivers. In this operation RS422 is compatible with RS485. I believe that a daughter board could be replaced with a chain of Renard controllers. You would lose 32 Helix channels but you would gain many more Renard channels in their place. Hardware wise this would only require a custom Cat5 cable be built that would correct for the pin-out mismatch. This would eliminate one of the big requirements for Modes 2/3.

10. Add the capability to drive the LEDTriks boards. They too use a serial RS485 data stream. I believe swapping 32 Helix channels for LEDTriks would be a good trade. This would eliminate the other big requirement for Modes 2/3.

When I start developing these two capabilities I will need some testers and advise on how people use these controllers, specifically how they are used with the Helix.

The last two firmware/software updates are stretch goals for this year.

11. Add FAT32 support to the microSD file system. The current file system only supports FAT16. This limits the microSD card to 2GB or less. In order to use the larger cards it needs to be able to support FAT32. However, 2GB cards should be plenty large enough for even the most elaborate show so this upgrade is very low on the list.

12. Add the capability to interface with the miniRDS board. I would like to be able to display the song name and other messages via RDS. I don’t believe the Helix will be able to dynamically change the message while the sequence is playing but there is no reason the message couldn’t be updated between sequences. This feature is the only one that won’t be backwardly compatible with the existing Helix systems because it requires a change to the hardware.

If there are any other firmware/software upgrades that you are interested in then please let me know and I will see if it can be added to the list.

After running the last PCB group buy and assisting several people build and troubleshoot their boards I’ve decided to make a couple of changes/upgrades to the hardware also.

Hardware Updates:

1. Change the surface mount Quad RS422 drivers to through hole DIP chips. When I first developed the Prop 128v2 it was a 3.3V system only. I was unable to find a through hole 3.3V Quad RS422 chip. Now that the Helix has 5V on board I can use a through hole chip instead. This will eliminate one of the major sources of difficulty in assembling the main board. As a side benefit, the new chips are cheaper and easier to get.

2. Change the fuse holder to horizontal clips w/cover. This will make it easier to check the fuse and it is also cheaper.

3. Add 3.3V and 5V test points on the Helix Main board. This will make testing easier.

4. Add a XBee TX LED on the main board. This will make troubleshooting easier.

5. Add a miniRDS port to the main board. This is easy to add while I’m making the other changes but it won’t be required to be populated in order for the board to work.

If there are any other hardware upgrades that you are interested in then please let me know.

I plan to have the hardware updates completed in the next month. I hope to have all of the boards available for purchase by mid to late February. The prices will be a little cheaper than last time. Also, I plan to provide the SMT microSD socket soldered to the main board as part of the price.

If there are any other hardware upgrades that you are interested in then please let me know.

Hi Greg,

The only other hardware change I can see that would be beneficial would ask of the feasibility of beefing up the 5vdc circuit on the main board so that it could provide the 5vdc to the daughter cards -> SSR's and eliminate the need for the wall warts. Is this possible?

Well, another one - could you provide a circuit us early adopters could build and integrate to give us the X-Bee Tx LED?

Brian

Last edited:
Greg - this all sounds great. As I had a mixture of hardware (LOR, Renard, Helix and LEDTriks), I really needed Mode 2 - or in a pinch Mode 3. I was hoping to help the cause by troubleshooting/testing Mode 3 for you but I did not find the time to do it and resorted to getting a Lynx FreeStyle to replace the Helix for this years show. However, with these improvements I may look at getting back to the Helix.

How about DMX support - if you added that instead of Renard, you could seemlessly drive LOR, Renard (w/DMX FW), Lynx or any DMX controllers/equipment.

Brian

I would really like to see the intergration of the Renard series controllers. I alredy have a REN 64 and I want to expand for next year and would like to move to the Helix. I plan to make a 64 channel mega tree with my Renard and use the Helix as my main show controller. I really like the "hub and spoke" design with the 32 channel SSR daughter boards too. I recommend offering both the SSR board as well as the first generation daughter boards for more flexibility.

As soon as my display is put up (mid-January, depending on the weather), I'm available for testing. My personal goal/need is to get Mode 2 running fully, but I can help test other functionality as needed.

Hi Greg,

Thank you again for helping to getting my system working flawlessly on the second controller (node 2) with the new firmware. Couple of things I have noticed that could be improve or upgrade:
1. Sound quality output thru Helix is not as clear compared to other audio source plugged into fm xmiter. MP3 player upgrade?
2. When first boot up, lagged time for the second controller is about 30-45 sec before it started to play. Is this normal?

Best wishes and Happy New Year

Phillip

Hi Greg,

The only other hardware change I can see that would be beneficial would ask of the feasibility of beefing up the 5vdc circuit on the main board so that it could provide the 5vdc to the daughter cards -> SSR's and eliminate the need for the wall warts. Is this possible?

Well, another one - could you provide a circuit us early adopters could build and integrate to give us the X-Bee Tx LED?

Brian

There are a couple of problems with your first request. The biggest one is this would change the interfaces/architecture so that the new daughter boards would only work with the new main boards and if they were ever plugged in to an older board bad things would happen. Another problem is a beefer power supply would probably mean a larger main board size and a larger cost. (However, this additional cost would probably be less than the cost of three wall warts so this may not be a problem.) The last issue is the number of conductors in a Cat5 cable. I'm using three pairs of wires to carry the three RS422 signals and the fourth pair is doubled up to provide a ground reference for the RS422. I could split this fourth pair between 5V and ground but then I would be concerned about the loop resistance of the pair limiting how far the daughter board could be from the main board.

The second request is easier. I'm planning on testing this feature by scabbing a circuit on to my existing board. If this works I can provide the instructions to mimic what I did.

Greg - this all sounds great. As I had a mixture of hardware (LOR, Renard, Helix and LEDTriks), I really needed Mode 2 - or in a pinch Mode 3. I was hoping to help the cause by troubleshooting/testing Mode 3 for you but I did not find the time to do it and resorted to getting a Lynx FreeStyle to replace the Helix for this years show. However, with these improvements I may look at getting back to the Helix.

How about DMX support - if you added that instead of Renard, you could seemlessly drive LOR, Renard (w/DMX FW), Lynx or any DMX controllers/equipment.

Brian

This request would require further research/thought. I will probably be contacting you in the near future to discuss this more in depth.

I would really like to see the intergration of the Renard series controllers. I alredy have a REN 64 and I want to expand for next year and would like to move to the Helix. I plan to make a 64 channel mega tree with my Renard and use the Helix as my main show controller. I really like the "hub and spoke" design with the 32 channel SSR daughter boards too. I recommend offering both the SSR board as well as the first generation daughter boards for more flexibility.

I still plan to order more of the original daughter boards. I agree that this lends itself to the greatest flexibility. The new 32ch SSR daughter board is good for locations with a high channel count in a small area. While the original daughter board with 4 ch SSR boards is good for larger areas with smaller channel counts.

As soon as my display is put up (mid-January, depending on the weather), I'm available for testing. My personal goal/need is to get Mode 2 running fully, but I can help test other functionality as needed.

Thank you, I will keep you in mind when I get to this phase.

Hi Greg,

Thank you again for helping to getting my system working flawlessly on the second controller (node 2) with the new firmware. Couple of things I have noticed that could be improve or upgrade:
1. Sound quality output thru Helix is not as clear compared to other audio source plugged into fm xmiter. MP3 player upgrade?
2. When first boot up, lagged time for the second controller is about 30-45 sec before it started to play. Is this normal?

Best wishes and Happy New Year

Phillip

Phillip,

I'm happy I could help. Please stop in whenever you are in town.

I'm not sure if the problem with the sound quality is a problem with the MP3 player or a result of the 128kbps bit rate limitation. I don't know that using a different MP3 player would allow higher bit rate MP3s or if the problem is that Helix can't feed the data fast enough to support the higher bit rates. I am considering upgrading the MP3 player from the VS1002 to the VS1033. I'm pretty sure they use the same instruction set and they are the same price. The only problem is the two breakout boards from SparkFun have different header spacing so they won't be interchangable.

Your second issue may require further investigation. If the Helix Network Controller was playing a sequence when you turned the Helix Network Node on then yes it will not start playing until the next sequence starts. This is because the HNC sends a message to the HNN at the beginning of the sequence that tells them which sequence to use. After that the HNC only sends a next event message to the HNN. So if the HNN is started after the HNC starts playing a sequence then it won't know what sequence to play until the next sequence starts.

If this is not the situation then we need to discuss this further.

This request would require further research/thought. I will probably be contacting you in the near future to discuss this more in depth.

I should have said "in addition" to Renard and not "instead of" Renard. DMX would open a lot of possibilities for the Helix for sure.

DMX might be a nice addition since you plan to implement RS-485/422 hardware. I can send you my DMX object if you like.

Here are a couple of other planned updates that I forgot to mention:

Firmware/Software

2a. Support for sequences with profiles. The current version of the Helix Network Supervisor does not support profiles.

2b. Support for Vixen ver. 2.5. I will make sure that the HNS works with Vixen v.2.5.

Having dmx from the dongles most of us have would be a good idea,so having the sdcard read dmx data would also be a great option.
Having it compatable with some of the existing dmx ssr's would also be great as well as RPM is developing some dmx ssr's for us to use.So contacting him and working with him would be a good idea to make sure it is compatable with all gear available would be a great idea as well...

1 question with regards to the ssr intergrated daughter boards is that will they be wireless (signal wise) or cat 5 hook up ????
Thanks Greg all I can think of for now..
Joe..

Please bare with me here, but I noticed that you mention "Helix Network Supervisor". Does this mean that I have to be hooked up to the internet to run these controllers, or is this for update purposes and I can upload and install them manually? I have a dedicated computer (work horse) that is not hooked up to the net.

You dont have to be on the net to use the Helix.
The Network Supervisor program convert Vixen sequence data to Helix show data.
It is a standalone program.

Please bare with me here, but I noticed that you mention "Helix Network Supervisor". Does this mean that I have to be hooked up to the internet to run these controllers, or is this for update purposes and I can upload and install them manually? I have a dedicated computer (work horse) that is not hooked up to the net.

Tabor is correct, you don't have to be on the internet to use the Helix. However, I plan to make the firmware updates and updates to the Helix Network Supervisor available through the helixlightcontroller.com website. I will also post them on the DIYC forum but I'm adding a button to the Helix Network Supervisor that will check your current versions and compare them with the latest published versions. It will then allow you to download the updates if you would like. In order for this to work properly then the Helix Network Supervisor will need to have access to the internet.

I was also wondering if the Helix would be able to work with the dc ssr's that are made incase someone wanted to tie in a mini flood of Franks...

Having dmx from the dongles most of us have would be a good idea,so having the sdcard read dmx data would also be a great option.
Having it compatable with some of the existing dmx ssr's would also be great as well as RPM is developing some dmx ssr's for us to use.So contacting him and working with him would be a good idea to make sure it is compatable with all gear available would be a great idea as well...

1 question with regards to the ssr intergrated daughter boards is that will they be wireless (signal wise) or cat 5 hook up ????
Thanks Greg all I can think of for now..
Joe..

Sorry for taking so long to reply, this just slipped through the cracks.

I'm not sure what DMX dongles everyone is using but if I implement DMX on the Helix it will only require a custom Cat5 cable with an RJ45 plug on one end and a female XLR connector on the other end. The Helix will be responsible for generating all of the DMX signals using the onboard RS422 driver chips that are currently being used by the daughter boards.

I am in contact with RPM, he is a Helix owner also. As long as the end devices conform to the DMX standard then the Helix should be able to control them.

W.r.t. the 32 channel SSR Daughter boards they connect to the Helix Main Board via a Cat5 cable just like a standard daughter board.

Back