Please Give Credit

kwdelre

Years ago I gave three people permission to use my "Talking Tree" audio skit. Now I see it on GMA and Tik Tok. So many shows are using it and that's fine. But most use it without even asking for permission and without the decency to give credit. I don't need the credit, but you know the other guy in that skit is a struggling stand-up comedian and could really benefit from some credit lobed his way. Strahan loved it and maybe he could have talked to him. Even though I wrote it, I want him to get something from it at least. His name is Mark Hurtado.

So when you use someone else's content, giving credit is the least you can do, please.

Also, if you are aware of a business or for-profit entity using this "Arguing Trees" audio, please PM me, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you are just an individual hobbiest, you have my permission, but read the very simple Acceptable Use on the second page.

Thank you all and I hope your displays are great this year!

-Will

https://vimeo.com/33051357

Last edited:
Will,
Thanks for putting that straight. For years I have attributed it to someone else. Never used it, but have enjoyed it each and every time I've seen it.

Thank you for a fun skit, and quite a few moments of enjoyment.

I first saw it on TikTok! Of course, I thought ok, just someone's awesome show. But this is the story behind it and now I am disappointed by our "light show members". I thank you for this information and at least us here on the forums will know the true man behind it. YOU! :shifty:

What would be best practice when giving credit to someone? While I do not use the arguing trees, I'm sure we all have imported some sequences that others have created and then tweaked to fit our show. I guess I'm struggling to see how I could even give credit within the show itself. I don't have a website or Facebook page that advertises the show but that would be a logical mechanism to use if you did. Does anyone have any pointers to share with everyone as to how to properly give credit to the original creator of certain content?

Tim

What would be best practice when giving credit to someone? While I do not use the arguing trees, I'm sure we all have imported some sequences that others have created and then tweaked to fit our show. I guess I'm struggling to see how I could even give credit within the show itself. I don't have a website or Facebook page that advertises the show but that would be a logical mechanism to use if you did. Does anyone have any pointers to share with everyone as to how to properly give credit to the original creator of certain content?

Tim

I think he was more talking about if something went public on tv or something specific like arguing trees knowing a lot of people saw it/will.

Tim

Maybe something to the effect of "Skit audio provided by comedian Mark Hurtado" in a video description. It's just a wish, not a demand. We are all technically guilty of it with the music we use...although I did pay for the songs. Haha, makes it a little different.

It will also be nice to see all the different shows that use it, so if I hear from the person, I can watch it!

Thank you for the kind comments folks!

-Will

Last edited:
Does anyone know who Logan Carpenter is? It appears he is talking credit and providing a download.

Sequencearmory is also accepting donations for downloading of my content.

Last edited:
Please see post from Logan (he can't post here for some reason)

https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/talking-trees-sequences-causing-upset.13130/

I shall paste logandc99's text:

"About 5+ years ago the talking trees sound tracks were shared to me from someone who assured me they had been freely shared on the DIY Christmas site and this was confirmed to me by more than one person. There was also a Youtube video of someone else who was including them in their show from back in 2013 which seemed to fit with what I was told. However, no-one knew exactly who made them. When I shared my sequences of the trees talking, I made it clear that I had only done the sequencing and had not written the skits or done the voices.
Four years after I did my Trolls sequence and posted it on Youtube with a couple of the talking trees sequences, someone has just now come forward to claim credit for the voice tracks which I can see on DIY Christmas site but unfortunately I cannot respond as I have not been active there for so many years and seem to have lost that privilege. It was never my intention and I never did claim credit for the sound tracks just as I never claim credit for any of the sound tracks in the sequences I have done and certainly did not want to give the impression that I was claiming credit. And I certainly did not want to upset anybody with these sequences but I was unable to name the makers of the skits as no -one could tell me who they were. My only intention was to bring some joy at Christmas time and not benefit from the sequences I made in any way. I guess it is therefore probably fitting that I stopped doing Christmas displays two years ago. I have enjoyed my time immensely doing a christmas display and have enjoyed being part of this christmas light community and learned heaps from many extremely helpful members here on AusChristmas. But the display was just getting too much work for me to do alone and was taking a lot of time away from the family. I am disappointed that I have ultimately ended up unintentionally upsetting some people and giving the wrong impression about the sequences I have shared."

Threads like this is why I stopped coming around here much.. People can do nothing right in this hobby anymore.. I don't share anything unless I want the world to have it. I don't think its fair to point blame and negativity at people who didn't know they were doing anything wrong. Logan Carpenter has the right mindset, create a sequence, share it and expect nothing in return. Giving is what Christmas is about to me. Just be proud so many people have enjoyed your sequence. If vendors are selling it.. thats a different story.

Threads like this is why I stopped coming around here much.. People can do nothing right in this hobby anymore.. I don't share anything unless I want the world to have it. I don't think its fair to point blame and negativity at people who didn't know they were doing anything wrong. Logan Carpenter has the right mindset, create a sequence, share it and expect nothing in return. Giving is what Christmas is about to me. Just be proud so many people have enjoyed your sequence. If vendors are selling it.. thats a different story.

I agree. Logan has freely shared his sequences for many years (I think Trolls was XLATW sequence) and has never asked for anything in return. People selling shared sequences is also the reason I share with very few people.
FYI, I did reach out to GMA Facebook and provided the URL to this thread in case they wanted to reach out to you. If you wanted recognition, maybe you should have done the same.
Just goes to show that if you share your sequence, it will get shared again and again. It has been on the Google Drive for as long as I can remember. If you want it taken down, please reach out to one of the moderators for the site and ask them to remove it.
Hopefully, you will get the acknowledgement you are looking for.

As expected, some don't understand, and that is fine.

Thank you darylc for posting his response, much appreciated. Logan, my request is simple, please attribute and request attribution in the future to Comedian Mark Hurtado for the skit, and all is fine on your download and Youtube videos (read Acceptable Use below). This is a basic request and courtesy when distributing someone else's work (sequencearmory). I have made it very clear that I love that people use it and have no problem with it's continued use.

Keith, its not about recognition or acknowledgment for me. I've contributed plenty, and early on, and made it very clear that I want another individual in the skit to receive credit.

When others state that he has not claimed credit, that probably has some truth to it, however, sequencearmory.com provides a direct link download to the audio as "Logan's Tree Intro" or as it has been changed to "Tree Intro." with the video description still the same while writing this. He submitted them. Multiple Youtube postings thank Logan for the talking trees, etc.

Mike, the audio was recorded in 2010, and thank you.

uncledan, Lots of us have shared sequences and/or audio long before...you imply that I have the "wrong" mindset. Logan gets credit for his sequences and shares them. Great, thats how it should be. Somehow I am wrong for wanting the same? He didn't create or own it. Pretty simple. I am thankful so many enjoy it. I can be thankful and want to set the record straight at the same time. It's possible.

This is it.....

Acceptable Use for Talking Tree Audio
Use the audio skit anytime you want. If you post online in any form using the audio, credit the skit to Comedian Mark Hurtado somewhere in a description.
If you wish to distribute (provide a link or download), please require users to credit Comedian Mark Hurtado somewhere in their media posts.
Under no circumstances can you accept money, be it sales or donations for the download, or distribution of the audio file/s.
You may not use this audio in any for-profit endeavor, or accept donations in part or whole for the audio as for-profit or not.

Merry Christmas everyone!! Hope your displays run smoothly!

Last edited:
As expected, some don't understand, and that is fine.

Acceptable Use for Talking Tree Audio
Use the audio skit anytime you want. If you post online in any form using the audio, credit the skit to Comedian Mark Hurtado somewhere in a description.
If you wish to distribute (provide a link or download), please require users to credit Comedian Mark Hurtado somewhere in their media posts.
Under no circumstances can you accept money, be it sales or donations for the download, or distribution of the audio file/s.
You may not use this audio in any for-profit endeavor, or accept donations in part or whole for the audio as for-profit or not.

Maybe we need a second tune to sign to scroll all the credits for people thoughts who we used to design our show....like after a movie. Lets get the person who first built a tree with lights, animated their lights, used pixels, used sound over.....just as a beginning.

Sorry, but I'm not going to scroll credits.....just enjoy my show, and if you see something you like, feel free to use it, and I don't need any credits.

Maybe we need a second tune to sign to scroll all the credits for people thoughts who we used to design our show....like after a movie. Lets get the person who first built a tree with lights, animated their lights, used pixels, used sound over.....just as a beginning.

Sorry, but I'm not going to scroll credits.....just enjoy my show, and if you see something you like, feel free to use it, and I don't need any credits.

:thup2::thup2::thup2::thup2::thup2:

Back