Plywood Bells with lights

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for some bells and I found this (attachment). I don't remember the website, but they also had a video showning the lights in operation and it was quite impressive...This is the way I would like to go... very nice design..

I do realize that there is no plywood involved in these bells..
Please post the website if you know where this picture came from...

Attachments

• Bells.jpg
    Bells.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 129
Hi:
I'm a day late (AND a dollar short), but here are the pictures of the bells.

Notice on the back, I mounted a double outlet without a box and plugged the light strings into this. I ran the channels to the two screws. I know this is "unprotected", but the outlet is against the wall, and cannot be reached without taking the bell down. It is also somewhat protected from rain (rarely here in Yuma, AZ) and is a perfect fit for the 1" x 2" stiffener

The bell is propped up on a lawn chair, so you can get an idea of the size. If anyone needs measurements, I will be glad to provide those.

This was a quick way to make them. (See my earlier post on how I did it). I was really short of time and had to do it as quickly as possible, but they seemed to come out OK and are re-usable.

The holes were punched from the back, but should have probably been done from the front so the foil didn't tear. If you look around the bulbs, you can see this, but it cannot be seen from the street.

I used some aluminum foil tape with adhesive on the back to patch some holes. This is also not noticeable from the street.

The third picture is with the strings on.

Also, here is some videos: http://www.vimeo.com/8263683

Attachments

• IMG_7072.jpg
    IMG_7072.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_7074.jpg
    IMG_7074.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7078.jpg
    IMG_7078.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I like the two bells idea, I had the same thoughts for my windows....
Just need to work out the details

I made mine from coat hanger wire. There is a bow and holly at the top with 3 bells underneath. One bell left, one right, and one center. You can sequence so that they look like they are moving as a bell would if it is ringing. I'll try to get a short video up of them soon.

I finally got the video up. It is here: http://www.vimeo.com/9742803

Sorry for the hose in the middle of it.

I've seen a couple threads about folks repainting their bulbs with different paints (some automotive) - you can probably do that for this with any color you want.

Paint for plastic works best.... HD or Lowes has it. Been using it for years works great. Repaint about every 3-4 years depending on weather.

Back