Powered Pixel Over Cat5 (PPOC5)

Not my first typo, probably not my last...
LOL I knew it was a typo, but since I was "being a little padandic" I had to point it out, didn't I? :naughty:

...just as long as you’re typing “config t” more than white papers...
Sadly, its the latter, not the former. I spent many years on the "config t" end of things but as one moves up the corporate ladder it forces one into more white papers :cry:

LOL I knew it was a typo, but since I was "being a little padandic" I had to point it out, didn't I? :naughty:
Good point :)

Sadly, its the latter, not the former. I spent many years on the "config t" end of things but as one moves up the corporate ladder it forces one into more white papers :cry:

I quit climbing the ladder when I realized the sacrifices I was making were depriving me of more important things. I left after ten years and I’m much happier back in the console...good luck and try to have fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I quit climbing the ladder when I realized the sacrifices I was making were depriving me of more important things. I left after ten years and I’m much happier back in the console...good luck and try to have fun...

Agreed. I definitely enjoyed working in the console much more than working in MS Word. The higher pay was nice, but there is a point where its not worth the sacrifices. That's why I retired early and never been happier. Now I just tech edit hobby manuals :biggrin2:

The output capacitors of the buck converter might be a problem. I cannot tell from the Kicad (Eagle?) rendering what the part is, perhaps you could post a schematic? From the looks of things they appear to be electrolytic caps. These will suffer reliability issues and have a short lifetime. If at all possible, try to replace these with ceramic caps. You will definitely need a buck controller that operates into the MHz to achieve that. It should reduce the size of the inductor as well.

This doesn't follow the traditional POE standard. I am using 6 conductors for power so I can source the buck with more amperage. Pins 5 & 6 I am using for differential data.

I don't think that you really meant Pins 5 & 6 for differential data - they don't constitute a twisted pair in Cat5 wiring.

Back