Powering panels and beaglebone

drounds67

Hi,

I have built a 12 panel P10 with two power distribution boards https://www.wiredwatts.com/hanpaneldistro. I plan on connecting the beaglebone black with an octoscroller via the octoscroller power connection to the distribution board. I was thinking of using a 16 gauge wire for the wire from the distribution board to the octoscroller. Any reason why I shouldn't use that size wire? Should I use a smaller fuse in the board for that connection? I used 12 gauge wire to power the boards from the power supply.

Thanks,
David

The octoscroller takes very little power. 16 gauge is plenty just to run the scroller. A BBB doesn’t take more than a couple amps even maxed out, so 2A is pretty much the floor for a fuse to the BBB.

Just a note of caution: it's been reported in the recent past that people have had issues with their BBBs not getting enough power at startup, so some people (including myself) have used a 5V@2A wal-wart supply to drive the BBB/Octo and used the 5V p/s to drive the panels. I'm not sure if this is still a thing, so perhaps someone can chime in if this is still an issue.

And, FYI, I used 18 gauge wire to go from the 5V p/s to my BBB/Octo before I did the switch. 16 gauge is more than enough.

Back