Prayers for a speedy recovery.

rayhjr

Supporting Member
I had a accident Friday afternoon at home that involved the fingers on my right hand and a table saw. Yeah it's bad. They stitched up 2 fingers at the ER and I saw a Dr. Monday who has scheduled surgery for next Tuesday on the other 2. My pinkie and ring fingers got raked across blade and there is some meat missing. Dr plans to put 2 nerve tubes in each finger to help nerves grow back to tips of fingers. Yeah, they are numb but I can move them. And put a skin graft on them.
It was a dumb thing to do but I am Grateful that I still have all my fingers. This could have been a lot worse and I know it.
My right hand is wrapped up with my thumb sticking out and I am right handed so learning to do things left handed and one handed for a while.
Dr said 4 to 6 weeks recovery after surgery so I'm home with the wife for a while trying to figure out I can do some Soldering, lol.
My lovely Wife has been wonderful and I would be lost without her.
I'm Grateful it is not worst than it is and I'm a firm believer in prayer. The more the better. Thanks. Ray.

RAY! I'm so sorry to hear of your accident. Wow... you're on my prayer list that you recover well and quickly. Hang in there -- it's difficult when one loses some dexterity. Ouch!!!

Prayers Indeed !
I damaged two fingers in a table saw accident 35 years ago.
Thankfully, just stitches, but I have a permanently crooked finger nail. :)
Fine Woodworking magazine did a survey many years ago and the shocking results were that over half of all woodworkers have had an 'incident' with their table saws. Yowzers !

About 7 years ago while working with the table saw the wood pulled my hand and the blade split the top of one my fingers.

Good luck.

Got to be there at 630 in the morning so surgery should be at 830. I will be glad when it's over!
Thanks, for all the prayers. Ray.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Prayers Indeed !
I damaged two fingers in a table saw accident 35 years ago.
Thankfully, just stitches, but I have a permanently crooked finger nail. :)
Fine Woodworking magazine did a survey many years ago and the shocking results were that over half of all woodworkers have had an 'incident' with their table saws. Yowzers !

I am always so very careful when using my Table Saw. So far, the worst thing I have happened is to have a piece of wood kick back and hit me in the stomach. Ouch!

Surgery was 3 hrs long and Dr. said everything went well. I had a rough night Tuesday because I was nauseated and had trouble keeping pain meds down. Was able
to get some relief about 2am and got some sleep. Nerves must have took because the pain was bad.
Yesterday was a better day, and today the pain is less with less pain meds. Sent me home with 30 percocet which I will never use all but right now they help.
I feel like the healing has began now that surgery is over. I'll follow up with Dr. on the 18th.
Thanks for all the prayers. Ray.

Dr. said i cut a tendon that controls the tip of my ring finger bending so he repaired that along with implanting the nerve
tubes. I'll go back in a week to have stiches removed. The skin graft from my wrist looked dark and bad to me but Dr
was pleased with his work. what used to be a wrinkle on my wrist is now the bend on 2 of my fingers, Wild!
Overall everything is looking good. Thanks everyone!

They removed the stiches from my wrist left the stiches in my fingers for another week. Will have a therapist set up an appointment to start therapy. Hand stays swollen and those 2 fingers are very hard to move, or bend. Right now they don't bend much at all.

Patience, my friend. Patience. It will come. The therapy will help a lot -- although it probably won't be very comfortable....

Tomorrow 5/28 will be 7 weeks from surgery on my 2 fingers. The skin grafts have a slight scab still and my ring finger is still stiff as can be. Can not bend the tip of that fingers. The Dr. and therapist both think the tendon is bound up in scar tissue. Dr wants to get grafts heald in case he needs to go back in. I'm not sure that will happen. Not being able to bend the tip of one finger is not the end of the world.

This is a picture of me making a fist. The scar on my wrist is where they took skin for the grafts

I'm still out of work but I'm not complaining. When you work construction you learn to save for a rainy day. Plus we are going through a heatwave, hit 100 last 3 days in a row and have not seen a drop of rain in weeks. Hopefully when I do go back to work it will cool down a bit.
16fb818bee713606f26d098ca5204932.jpg

I've been wanting to follow up on this thread for weeks now but have been real busy.
I went back to work the week after the 4th of July. My grip is not what it should be but it's getting better.
Was released from Dr. and therapist the week I went back to work.
The tip of my ring finger still don't bend, and the felling is coming back slowly. Right now those
two fingers tingle quiet a bit.
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers, I'm sure they helped. Ray.

My dad was in construction for 50 years and never had a accident. At the age of 75 he cut off all 4 fingers of his right hand on a table saw and walked 2.5 miles to the emergency room. Fingers could not be saved. He passed away at 92.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Back