Preferred Triacs for SSR's

tommy

I bought a couple of Renard Plus TR24's and noticed when I opened the package that the triacs that came in the kit were not the ones listed in the BOM. The BOM shows that the triacs should be BTA06-600CW's.... but my kits had BTA04-700T's, even though the labels on the packages indicated they were BTA06-600CW's. Is this going to work for me? Or should I get them to replace the triacs with the proper parts?

I bought a couple of Renard Plus TR24's and noticed when I opened the package that the triacs that came in the kit were not the ones listed in the BOM. The BOM shows that the triacs should be BTA06-600CW's.... but my kits had BTA04-700T's, even though the labels on the packages indicated they were BTA06-600CW's. Is this going to work for me? Or should I get them to replace the triacs with the proper parts?

There a substitution because the 600s that have issues with leds. They will work just fine.
EDIT: ignore this I had it backwords.

Last edited:
If you have any plans to ever use LEDs, you should go back to the vendor and get the correct parts. If you want to see the difference, here is a thread with information about the substitution.

It's the suffix that matters as far as LED flickering is concerned. The 'T' suffix indicates a more sensitive gate, and these parts are more likely to false-trigger as the result of noise on the AC power lines. Go for the 'CW' parts, which have a much higher dv/dt rating.

I'll talk to the vendor to see if they can replace the 700T triacs. But if they aren't willing to send me the 600CW triacs, is there anything I can do to minimize the flickering like adding a load resistor on the output?

I'm planning on running nothing but LED's on these controllers.

The BTA04-700T is obsolete and not stocked by Mouser anymore. All of the recent group buys have used the newer and better BTA06-600CW part. I guess someone is selling old stock. The resistor trick (often called a snubber) can help some, but often you will be chasing misfires on random channels with LEDs due to the sensitivity of the older triacs. There are lots of threads about tricks to try and chase down misfires due to noise on the powerline. Good luck.

FYI the part number explains the features from the datasheet:
Example:
BTA04-700T
BT = Triac
A = Insulated Tab (VERY IMPORTANT!!)
04 = 4A Current Rating
700 = 700V Voltage Rating
T = 5ma Logic Level trigger current

BTA06-600CW
BT = Triac
A = Insulated Tab (VERY IMPORTANT!!)
06 = 6A Current Rating
600 = 600V Voltage Rating
CW = 35ma Snubberless trigger current

As Phil mentioned, the CW device is less sensitive to noise on the power line from the lights switching on and off rapidly.

Last edited:
Back