Preview Bug/Crash v. 23A.

Confirming what I hope just got sent to Joe in the crash report.

1) I loaded a sequence into 23A that worked under 22Y.
2) I checked Always build.
3) I checked apply lighting controls to preview.
4) I checked display preview. The preview pane appeared.
5) I clicked play. The sequence ran, but nothing showed in the preview window.
6) I clicked stop. The sequence stopped.
7) I unchecked Display Preview. The preview pane went away as expected, but the crash report window popped under the application.

Just to verify, I rolled back to 22Y and repeated the above steps. The preview ran as expected.

And then just to verify again, I copied 23A into the application folder and tried the above steps. Exact same crash experience.

Hopefully this is enough to go on.

I got your report but was unable to use it -- I must have touched HLS after I released it.

The only case where the new Preview might crash is if you click PLAY before the Preview processing was complete.

If you have the option set to Preview what is only in the Display Grid -- The Preview window with Background will appear but you won't see any BLACK lights.

I places a Counter to give you feedback that a process was running but if you clicked around -- Windows might have minimized at the bottom of the screen.

I release 23B -- if implemented a Preview completion flag.

I prevent you from clicking Play, Play from Mark, Preview, or Close until the Preview process has completed.

When you select the option to Preview from the Display Grid --- some additional processing takes place after the Preview Window appears. When the Black Lights appear -- you are ready to go.

I won't touch 23B -- so if it crashes -- restart HLS and it will be sent to me and I will take another look.

Joe

23B works fine. Thanks. Might have been something with the additional processing after the preview window appears. I did notice the black lights never appeared for me in 23A.

Something I did notice that doesn't bother me since I have no intent at the moment to use the "Preview Sequence Only" is that using this option doesn't preview a fill channel that's in the sequence window. I can see how that might be an intended effect, but mentioning it just in case it isn't.

I don't understand "fill channel"

The options only displays what is in the Editor's Grid.

Please explain further.

Joe

I'm not sure how to explain further since HLS refers to them as "fill channels".

I have a display group that has two megatree pixel planes and two "fill channels" in it. Each tree has one of the fill channels associated with it. The pixel plane effects are meteor effects and the fill channels are set to keep the trees a solid color as the meteor effects overlay the solid colors. Works as I expect in "display all". The blue trees have lighter blue and white meteors running down them. When I turn on "preview sequence grid only", I still see the meteor effects, but other than that, the trees stay dark even though the "fill channels" are in the display group that's in the editor grid.

The other difference I see between the two scenarios is when I check "Display Preview" in "display all" mode, I get the "Master Lighting Management" dialog as expected. When I check "Display Preview" in "preview sequent grid only" mode, I don't get that "Master Lighting Management" dialog.

You are correct about me missing the Master Lighting in the Display Grid Only --- fixed next release.

I'm still trying to associate your "fill" channel with what I know.

Where do you set this channel -- in the PP Editor or on the Display Grid.

When in Preview -- Display Grid only -- I have all channels turned off --- only turning ON the ones that are in the grid --- So I need to figure out how I missed the ones you call "fill".

Is "fill" -- background by chance?

Thanks.

Joe

Hmm. As I said, not sure how to explain. Might be what you're calling background, but that's not what it's called in the program so I don't know.

Going to try with screenshots since I probably call things something different from what they're supposed to be called.

Here's what I do to create a "Fill Channel". (See first screenshot.)
zero.jpg
Select from menu, "Manage Channels", "Manage Fill Channels", "New" if I want to create a new one. (The screenshot shows "Segment Channels" selected, but look down two menu entries for "Fill Channels".) Takes me to the "Select Channels to Work On" screen where I pick the channels I want to associate with that "Fill Channel". Check the ones I want, enter name, and Save.
Then I add the new Fill Channel to a display group and select that group to work on. Anything I do on that fill channel affects the associate channels unless overridden by something. (See second screenshot.) In this example, the top row called "RGB-House Outline Fill" is a fill channel that contains all the pixels outlining my house. The sort of pulse from 100% blue down to 50% blue EXCEPT where the light blue fades override them.
one.jpg

Does this help?

Something I totally forgot I did.

It is processed with Lighting controls -- that is why it was missing.

Fixed in 23C.

Joe

Back