Preview does not retain elements when opening

kenoman742

Supporting Member
When I open a HLS sequence and then select "Display Preview" the preview opens with only the background image and no elements showing. In order to get the elements back I go to "Edit Preview", then pick a preview, save it, and quit preview. I then select "Identify Preview Control File" and select the file. Then I select "Display Preview" again and the preview displays the background image with all elements and works properly. If I close HLS and open another file, I have to go through the same process again. If I close HLS and re-open the original file, it sometimes works and sometimes not. I do not have copies of all updates on my computer, but the last version I have with the preview working properly is 22.T. I am currently running 23.H. I have the Windows 7 operating system.

You have a computer issue -- NOT HLS.

The compiled Preview is located in the Base HLS Main Folder and each sequence has an internal Preview File identified.

If the sequence you are opening does not have Preview Group and Channel numbers assigned -- Preview will NOT show that Preview object.

Sit back and think --- HLS is fine so what issue do I have with my computer or sequence.

Let me know.

Joe

You aren't sequencing from different systems by chance are you? Also, does it work if you re identify the preview file only

I am only sequencing on one computer. No, it doesn't work if I only identify the preview file. The crash report shows I am getting a Exception Access Violation.

ExceptionCode = 0xc0000005, Reason EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Address = 0x1123024

I have no idea how to resolve it at this time. As I stated earlier, I can run version 22.T without causing the problem.

Thanks,
Ken

I got your crash report and you are faulting on a Triangle Preview object.

The only thing that has changed in Preview was HLS processing preview in ALL mode or Display Grid mode.

What mode are you in?

Make sure you are NOT in Display Grid only mode --- what happens.

Can you zip your HLS file and your compiled Preview file and make it available?

Thanks.

Joe

Lots of available space on hard drive?
Sounds like it could be a bad update/driver or memory issue. Any problems with other programs?Are you running many programs at same time?
May want to try running memtest to make sure memory is good.

I just tested Triangle processing and found no issue.

Can you go into Preview Edit and look at each of your Preview Triangle objects --- see if you see something not right there.

How many triangles do you have?

Joe

Thanks to the information Joe provided I was able to get the preview working right this morning. The first thing I discovered was it would only work if I deleted all triangles (mini trees). There were 13 of them. I then recreated about half of the triangles and it stopped working again. I have now deleted all triangles and replaced them with 13 custom objects. Preview is working correctly on all sequences now.

To answer some of the above questions:

- I have plenty of space on my hard drives. I run the operating system on a SSD and HLS is running on a regular hard drive. I tried running HLS on the SSD with the operating system and there was no change in the way preview reacted. I ran memtest last night and all was good. No problems with other programs. I am only running HLS when sequencing.

- I am not running in Display Grid Only mode.

- The HLS folder is located on the D: drive under my documents/HLS.

- Joe, if you would still like the HLS file and compiled preview, let me know and I'll post it here.

Thank you to everyone that tried to help,
Ken

I will check to see if I set a limit on triangles.

What type of Graphics card do you have?

Is there Graphics card memory or is the card using System memory?

Thanks.

Joe

I just added 13 triangles to my Preview and all worked well.

There has to be something about your computer's graphic system --- memory, type, etc???

If you find out anything -- let me know.

This is no limit on the number of triangles.

Joe

I agree with your assessment Joe. The 13 triangles still work fine on my 2013 preview. It's just in the 2014 preview that they became a problem. The 2014 preview is a copy of the 2013 preview with additional channels. I too believe that my computer, graphics, and/or memory just found something it didn't like. I am happy with the resolution and everything is working great. Now I just have to get the work done to modify my sequences for 2014.

Thanks again for your help,
Ken

Back