Preview problems

timon

Well, this may be two problems that's not easily fixed.

First, every time I try to draw something I don't get a nice clean narrow line but a huge fat line. I'm guessing something is just not quite right someplace and that place may be Wine. Is direct X used while creating props on the preview or only during run time?

Second, even with the fat lines once I start the playing the sequence it goes for a few seconds and we get a full crash. I can access the crash report. I'm guessing the second problem may be related to the first one.

I really don't know where to go from here. The Direct X that's being use is MSs. I could try running one from the Wine load but I figured its best right now to use the basic DirectX.

Anyone, especially Mac users, have any ideas

Update:

Good news, as of 16S preview no longer crashes when running.

Bad news, the existing elements are still really fat instead of the smaller lines they should be.

To be tested, I need to create some additional elements to see if they will be created correctly or if the lines are still fat.

I'm including a screen capture show what they currently look like.

attachment.php

That is NOT HLS --- It's your MAC.

Please don't state a problem exists if it is NOT an issue on a PC.

I do not design for the MAC. If I can help -- I will -- but this is clearly a MAC issue.

I ask because users coming to the HLS Threads and see "Problem" or "Issue" ... and don't realize you are speaking about MAC behavior can think THEY will have an issue.

Thanks in advance for your MAC posts in considering MOST users are PC based.

Joe

That is NOT HLS --- It's your MAC.

Please don't state a problem exists if it is NOT an issue on a PC.

I do not design for the MAC. If I can help -- I will -- but this is clearly a MAC issue.

I ask because users coming to the HLS Threads and see "Problem" or "Issue" ... and don't realize you are speaking about MAC behavior can think THEY will have an issue.

Thanks in advance for your MAC posts in considering MOST users are PC based.

I will see if Brian will create a separate Thread for HLS running on MACs.

Thanks again for your consideration.

Joe

Sorry, I'm not trying to cause issues. I did state all along that this could be related to Wine. Anytime I report any issues I always consider if Wine could play a role. If I think its a possibly I add that to my post.

I bring it up just incase maybe a parameter in a structure may possible be uninitialized or out of range, heck I've done that on more than one occasion, but Windows worked around it.

I would not have made the last post except that the crash I always got went away. The first point I stated was that the crashes went away. I thought you may have working on that section of the code. Since I've not installed any updates to Wine I figured something changed in HLS.

From now on when ever I post a but that has any reasonable chance it may be related to Wine I'll make it clear. Something like "Possible Preview Problem when running under Wine" so it totally clear.

I moved moved this thread to the HLS MAC forum.

I have done nothing in the area of code you are speaking of.

The behavior is directly related to DirectX -- which you have been asking about that recently.

I suspect it has to do with how DirectX is used with Wine.

Joe

I will see if Brian will create a separate Thread for HLS running on MACs.

Thanks again for your consideration.

Joe

I'd title it not for just the Mac but for any alternate platforms since Wine is also use on Linux systems even more tha on Macs. Maybe something like "Issues when Running HLS under Wine or Virtualization" which covers any cross platform operation plus someone running under Xen on a PC.

I agree this is most likely an issue with DirectX.

Let me go through my posts dealing with Wine and send you a list so you can move those here as well.

I think I have even a better title would be, "Running HLS under Wine (Mac or Linux) or Virtualization". I think is makes it clearer and covers the two main way to run HLS on other than pure windows.

Hi:
I am running a 27" iMac, but I am using Boot Camp and Window 7 and am having no issues (so far).

I have never run Wine but I did try Parallels and did not like it. Windows is better run under Boot Camp.

What I did find was that HLS does not like Windows XP and at least on my show computer, locks up. I have not solved that problem yet, even though I would prefer to run HLS, I can't. I have to stick with V2 or V3.

Sorry, Joe!

Hi:
I am running a 27" iMac, but I am using Boot Camp and Window 7 and am having no issues (so far).

I have never run Wine but I did try Parallels and did not like it. Windows is better run under Boot Camp.

What I did find was that HLS does not like Windows XP and at least on my show computer, locks up. I have not solved that problem yet, even though I would prefer to run HLS, I can't. I have to stick with V2 or V3.

Sorry, Joe!

Idun:

HLS is running on a LOT of XP machines.

What do you mean it locks up?

When you do what?

Joe

Hi:
I haven't tried it for a while, so let me go out later today and try to run it again and give you a good report on what's happening. I had tried HLS on two machines running XP and was not successful. I like to stick with XP as it has proven reliable and stable and I own several copies!!

Thanks for your quick reply, Joe. I will download the latest version of HLS and put it on the computer, which is an HP a610n with 1gb memory.

Hi:
Joe, I loaded HLS 16t onto two XP machines. One a laptop, HP dv6000, the other a HP a610n.

I can set up a new sequence, add channels and set them to RGB and designate the Preview Group and Preview Numbers. No problems in the Channel Manager.

When I go to the Preview setup, I select Edit a New Preview and from there on things go bad. The computer response slows down to having to wait many seconds for a button press. Setting the resolution takes forever and when I try to load the Background Image, both computers lock up and I have to power down to get out.

Right now, the laptop is giving an error "Server Busy" and the only way out is to power down.

So, I can't get past setting up the Preview on both machines.

I will make further checks, not going to the Preview at this time.

That seems strange to me as well since Windows XP is so darn stable.

I've submitted my issues running HLS Preview under Wine to the Wine forum and hopefully someone has seen this issue, or something close to it, before. If not I'm hoping one of the developers is willing to figure out what DirectX is doing. There are two ways that Wine handles DirectX. Normally they have their own versions of DirectX but they can also run the native MS versions. I've tried both ways, assume that I did it right which I'm not totally sure I did, and received the same results. Anyway the guys on the forum are sharp so will see what happens.

Idun, Your tag line is funny but has your better half read it?:)

Hi:
Joe, I loaded HLS 16t onto two XP machines. One a laptop, HP dv6000, the other a HP a610n.

I can set up a new sequence, add channels and set them to RGB and designate the Preview Group and Preview Numbers. No problems in the Channel Manager.

When I go to the Preview setup, I select Edit a New Preview and from there on things go bad. The computer response slows down to having to wait many seconds for a button press. Setting the resolution takes forever and when I try to load the Background Image, both computers lock up and I have to power down to get out.

Right now, the laptop is giving an error "Server Busy" and the only way out is to power down.

So, I can't get past setting up the Preview on both machines.

I will make further checks, not going to the Preview at this time.

Idun:

When you engage Preview -- you kick in DirectX.

I suspect you do NOT have any type of 3D acceleration on the machine so it's reverting to raw code mode --- REALLY SLOW.

I thought from your original post --- you were using the XP machine as a SHOW computer. ... Driving the actual Light Show --- not Preview.

HLS's Preview uses DirectX -- 3D accelerated graphics --- think hi-performance Gaming Engine.

I don't think the issue is with the XP/Computer --- You don't have a Graphics card capable of handling the Preview requirements.

Joe

Hi:
Thanks, Joe. I had thought that maybe because the video uses machine memory that that could be the problem. I have a couple of graphics cards, so I'll plug one of those in and see what happens.
Can't do it on the laptop, of course. The laptop is for a special trailer that belongs to our Shrine Club and I built a 16 channel controller for it. I may have to continue to use (pardon the expression) Vixen.

Thanks again. Will check into it.

I've been trying to come up with some ideas about why Preview is failing on Wine especially since there are many games that run on Wine that use DirectX.

One thing I've figured out is that all of the drawing is being done correctly. Everything lands where you expect it to. The reason it looks bad is the pixel size it being used to draw everything. I don't know what it should be but it seem to be using something close to a 60x60 pixel. I suspect if the pixel size was the size it's programmed to be everything would be working perfectly. So the question is why such a huge pixel size.

I've not gotten an answer back from the forums yet however I did try using another wine package called CrossOver. This is a commercially packaged and supported version of Wine. I'm running on the 14 day free trial so tomorrow I'm gong to see if they will give me a little free support.

BTW, what is the pixel size that should be drawn? That may help them help me find the problem. Also, is it stored in a file some place?

Well, back to debugging.

Thanks Joe, having that information may help and it sure won't hurt. At least there is a possibility to find where something is going astray, well just have to see.

Hi:
Joe, I installed a GeForce 6600 graphics card in the HP a610N computer. I finally found the drivers and installed them. All accelerators are on, but I can't find anything about Open GL, so maybe the card doesn't support it. It took me a long time to locate the drivers for this thing!!

There was no difference in the performance. Everything seems to run great except setting up the Preview. It hangs and is Very slow and may not respond at all. I have looked at the machine and cannot find any reason for this to be happening.

Thanks for your interest and replies.

Back