Problems controlling volume

kiowamike

As the title implies I can't adjust the mp3 player's volume. I keep getting the "No response from Helix" advisory. I am not trying to change it during show execution nor does the stop show function work. I can check and update the Helix time just fine however I can't adjust the volume. As it stands now the volume is way too loud and overmodulating my transmitter. I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Mike

As the title implies I can't adjust the mp3 player's volume. I keep getting the "No response from Helix" advisory. I am not trying to change it during show execution nor does the stop show function work. I can check and update the Helix time just fine however I can't adjust the volume. As it stands now the volume is way too loud and overmodulating my transmitter. I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Mike

I added the "Set MP3 Volume" to the HNS so I could test the static problem (see the link the Mikentn pointed you to) but I didn't intend for it to be released to the public yet. It isn't incorporated into the firmware yet. I created a custom firmware for my test. I'm sorry for the confusion with that. In the next release it will probably be disabled since I never could get it to work the way I wanted it to. I've also removed the "Stop Show" button so I'm not sure why that is still available to you.

As noted on the other thread, the work around for now is to add the inline volume control; however, I plan to add a volume option very soon. I will add the option to change the volume when you run the Upload Wizard and the value will be stored in the CONFIG.HLX file. I'm hesitant to release any new firmware/HNS updates in the middle of the decorating season. In general I only provide bug fixes. Since this is sort of like a bug I'll try to get this out soon.

I am in process of performing all of the fixes suggested in the other thread. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
I now have a pretty stable program that I can run every night. I f it would help out, I am willing to do some beta testing. Also if its possible, I would like to look at the source code for the HNC. I am loosely familiar with Propeller chips and Spin language. I wonder if it would be possible to configure the volume in programming as the unit powers up.

I will keep you in mind if I need a beta tester. The changes aren't that complicated, mostly to the HNS application to add the option to set the volume in the Upload Wizard. The firmware itself is fairly easy to change as it is just reading in another value from the CONFIG.HLX file.

I plan to release the firmware on a Google Projects site (http://code.google.com/p/helix-light-controller/) after this decorating season. I have concerns with losing configuration control if I just release it to the wild. I'm looking for people with an understanding of the Helix and Propeller SPIN/Assembly to help further develop and maintain it. I have just about squeezed as much as I can out of the current firmware (there are only about 600 longs left and I will use most of those to implement the LEDTriks interface). I would like to work on expanding the Helix line next year. If you would like to help be a developer it would be great!

I'm also looking for someone who understands Google Projects, Subversion and the ins & outs of hosting a project like the Helix to help me get going.

If you would like to help be a developer it would be great!
I would love to help however I'm moving to New York and deploying almost immediately after the holidays. I must also admit I'm no pro with propeller and spin. I can pick my way through it and see what does what.

On another note, I was looking at the data sheet for the mp3 player and I was wondering if you have ever played around with the bass and trebble functions. Aslo, what volume does the player default to? It sounds like full blast to me. It doesn't look like it has a line output setting, so if the player was configured with a much lower volume we might get better results.
I tried most of the fixes suggested in this thread: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...t-of-the-Helix
and have found the results to be acceptable. I would still love to play around with the player volume.
Thanks,
Mike

I've posted a new update to the Helix Network Supervisor and Helix Firmware. This update fixes a couple of small bugs and adds the ability to set the volume on the MP3 player. When you run the upload wizard there is a new step to set the volume. Valid values are 0 (full off) to 255 (full on). The default value is 255. If you want to try additional values you can set the initial test value with the upload wizard. After you test that value you can change the volume by editing the CONFIG.HLX file with a text editor (like Notepad). About midway down the list you will see where the volume level is specified. Change that value to the new test value and save the CONFIG.HLX file back to the microSD card. You will then be ready to test the new volume level.

There are no updates to this version of the Helix firmware or HNS that will require anyone to update at this time if their show is operating satisfactorily. As such I wouldn't recommend updating this year unless you need to change the volume level.

Not sure what happened but when I used this new feature it seems to have locked up my whole show.Everything froze...I was running a random pattern across 28 of 32 channels...Any idea's what might have caused this if this volume function was not the issue ???

Not sure what happened but when I used this new feature it seems to have locked up my whole show.Everything froze...I was running a random pattern across 28 of 32 channels...Any idea's what might have caused this if this volume function was not the issue ???

The volume update was fairly small. It only changes the initial bootup routine and the CONFIG.HLX file.

Did it work for you at all before it froze up?

Did you update the firmware at the same time you updated the HNS application?

What is the Heartbeat LED doing? Did it generate an ERROR.LOG file? If so, what did that say?

If you can, please email all of the files that you loaded on your microSD card to me. I'll take a look at them and run them on my system to see if I get a similar problem.

Simply put the Helix just froze,heartbeat was in sos,it went into test mode after a reboot,update was done to the firmware automatically when I opened HNS..When I changed it back to full on volume ( I had mine set to 150 to give it a try) it updated the config.hxl file then I loaded it onto the card without issues.Plugged it in and test pattern after I rebooted the Helix...I waited about 5 minutes then rebooted again and it ran like a dream...I let it run for about 4 hours without missing a beat then I loaded up another card with a different 2 songs and reset the days etc...All worked flawless yet again...So only thing I can think of is the volume option as that was all that was changed...I'll email over the files later today for you to test...

Simply put the Helix just froze,heartbeat was in sos...

That was the only thing I needed to see. There is only two ways for the Helix to go into SOS mode.
1) When no microSD card is installed
2) When the Helix can't read the microSD card or the firmware isn't installed on the microSD card

Since you had the microSD card installed it is the latter situation. I've noticed that sometimes the microSD cards get in a state that the Helix can't read them. I'm not sure why they do this. It happens occasionally when the card is removed from the PC without properly shutting it down. But other times is just happens. Usually you can recover either by opening the card with the PC and properly shutting it down. Other times it requires the microSD card to be reformatted. Sometimes it even starts working again on its own after a few minutes. So in short it wasn't a problem with the update, it was a problem with the microSD card's state at the time.

If you were to try the volume change again it should work.

I can buy that to a point.The other issue of it freezing with the only one I changed the volume to ?? All the other stuff happened after I tried to switch back to a card that was working.I sent you the files that caused the lock up in the first place..So please run them and let me know what you find with the random issue that started it all...

Also too the Helix wouldn't go back to normal after a card change and a full 30 minute break and restart...Also note I had an issue communicating with it via xbee that was 2 feet away from the Helix outside...

Last edited:
Back