pumpkin patch

mjd430

Hello!

I'm looking to create a pumpkin patch in my yard using foam pumpkins that I carved. I want to scatter them all over the yard and light them up so that they can all be lit up with different colors or the same colors. I was thinking of using pixels because that seems like what I'm looking to do. At some point, I'd like to create a show but for now I want to start small. Can anybody help me figure what I'd need to do this? I attached a picture of what I'm looking to do.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks.

Matt

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 6.13.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 6.13.19 PM.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 98
Don't forget that you'll need lots of time. Everything takes longer than expected, and halloween is only six weeks from now.

The wiring and power distribution schemes may need to be different from most of the pixel discussions on this site. The reason for this is that the pixels in your pumpkin patch (if it's anything like the photo included above) are going to be hundreds to thousands of cm apart, rather than 10 cm (4") apart as in the usual pixel strings.

Individual pixels run by arduinos are probably the best, but also, just throwing in several LED's on different GPIO's on an arduino would work, too.

I know I am going to get "eaten alive" by this comment, but you could also use Dumb RGB for this particular project since all you are trying to accomplish is change color within a prop.
The one nice thing about dumb RGB modules is that all you need worry about is voltage drop.
This is the reason I still keep a couple 27 channel DMX controllers hanging around as they would work great for something like this.

Dumb RGB with a Renstick or
ESPixelstick as a controller playing a sequence from the the SD card with a daisy chain from pumpkin to pumpkin. I suspect you would need 20 or 30 pixels per pumpkin to get some decent light. You might look into Pixel rings or Pixel Modules (blocks of LEDs on a single mount). They might be easier to work with.

Oooooh yes. Pixel rings. Now THAT would rock.

Edit:. argh I'm sorry, I'm not keeping up with the times. I meant that would be sick. That's dope.

Last edited:
I know I am going to get "eaten alive" by this comment, but you could also use Dumb RGB for this particular project since all you are trying to accomplish is change color within a prop.
The one nice thing about dumb RGB modules is that all you need worry about is voltage drop.
This is the reason I still keep a couple 27 channel DMX controllers hanging around as they would work great for something like this.

I agree. I have done what the OP is wanting to do but used smart pixels just because I already had them. I have around 10 bullet pixels per pumpkin. There’s no real effects you can do with the smart pixels inside the pumpkin other than maybe flicker or twinkle. So, if you don’t already have smart pixels and a controller and are looking for a really cheap solution, consider dumb pixels.

I will try to get some pics of my setup this weekend and provide more details on what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Or, if you just want a "static" flicker effect and you already have a Renard, you can run something like what I did for these candles. It uses a modified Renard code(the same as my RenTester) that literally just loops the out and the in of the Renard.
https://youtu.be/oT1QlnyFsjc

I did this at my Mom's house for a couple of years in pumpkins and with candles and it looks really good.

I made some wireless pumpkins that would do the job, although they'd be a bit expensive -- each pumpkin has its own usb 5vdc rechargeable power bank, a D1-Mini (ESP wireless receiver) and a couple pixels, so about $15 per pumpkin.... But they would give you total control of each pumpkin and could run off your home wireless network... until visitors walked off with them because they'd be pretty cool...

https://vimeo.com/368099444

Last edited:
I took a look at my setup today to refresh my memory on what I've got. I've got a ESPixelStick powered by a small 120V AC to 12V DC converter. I don't remember what the amp rating is on the converter but it's enough for my setup. Both of those are in a CG-500 case. Then, I've got 10 smart bullet pixels stuffed into a pumpkin plate holder. It's a plate specifically for holding carved pumpkins. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got it. Then, I've got the foam, carved pumpkin on the pumpkin stand. Like I mentioned before, can't really do much more than change the colors and do a flicker or twinkle effect. I run 3 pumpkins like this on my front porch. If you want to run more, then it's just a matter of scaling up the power supply. The ESPixelStick is good for like up to 680 pixels. At 10 pixels per pumpkin, that's 68 pumpkins! So, the ESPixelStick could handle 68 pumpkins, but not the power supply I'm using! :) Hope this helps. I have pics I'd like to share but I can't seem to figure out how to post them. I keep getting upload failed messages. :sad:

I made some wireless pumpkins that would do the job, although they'd be a bit expensive -- each pumpkin has its own usb 5vdc rechargeable power bank, a D1-Mini (ESP wireless receiver) and a couple pixels, so about $15 per pumpkin.... But they would give you total control of each pumpkin and could run off your home wireless network... until visitors walked off with them because they'd be pretty cool...

How many pixels did you use per pumpkin?

How many pixels did you use per pumpkin?

Two of the square pixels, Phil. Here's a photo of the basic "guts" of one of the pumpkins. I used some coro and double-stick foam tape to fashion a mount for the controller and the two pixels and cut up a plastic gallon plastic milk carton to make a diffuser for the pixels because I cut the eyes and mouth out of the plastic pumpkin. I used a DIGWDF MiWiFi controller (as it's dirt simple and cheap to make) but since my store has been closed for almost 3 years, I'd suggest using a D1 Mini. It's got everyone one would need and they're cheap, too. Most expensive part was the USB rechargeable battery bank, but I picked those up on sale at MicroCenter for about $5 apiece. They run for about 4-5 hours, which is all I needed to handle Halloween.

20210924_222709.jpg

Last edited:

Hey!! I use that song in my Halloween display too!!

Back