PVC Farris Wheels

Skunberg

Number one I hate seeing the forum item still empty. I love the little PVC Farris wheels sized for stuffed animals. The 6-15ft tall range, 4-10 chairs. We've all seen these and the basic frame and pivoting seats are not too hard to figure out (not simple but doable). I would like to see some ideas on the cheap to run them and the hardware to get it done. Anyone here play with this yet?

Brian

I couldn't locate it, but I know I saw this somewhere when I was looking at ideas for a train. Much like you are saying and it used a Wiper Motor with Bicycle chain and sprockets to turn the wheel.

Using CPVC (the white stuff) you can slip a 3/4" T coupler directly over a 1/2" CPVC pipe the play/slack/slop is not too bad and if it can be used for Halloween coffin jumpers, It can be used for Ferris wheels on the seat buckets too!

As for a center hub for the main wheel, a pair of childs rear wheels off a trike 8" diameter, would hide nicely behind a plywood hub plate

You could even consider Pillow blocks or a mandrel to act as the center hub.

Has anyone ever used a rotating tree base for a center hub? I picked up two in the after christmas sales. It already has a motor and transfers power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Transfer of power is the big one. Anything super easy and cheap might not be reliable and need to be covered. And most slip rings that carry enough power are spendy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I wonder if you could use the brushes from an old alternator, or if they're cheap enough buy them new, and mount them on a larger PVC pipe.

The stands were $30 so I picked one up at 50% off and another at 75% off. Fairly cheap for a motor and hub if I can get to building it.

Wonder if a power line network adapter will work with it...will need some time to tinker.

Brian,

Here is one that JoeyTx(Joey Corbello) done. He is a member here but is not on here too much. Great guy and would give you some ideas if you PMd him. You might be able to do a scaled down version of his.

http://vimeo.com/81155447

Though I haven't done it, there are some sites out there for how to make a slip ring if you are going to want power to rotate as well (if you were going to use blowmolds for the character or have lights stung across the beams).

Where would you get your outdoor characters (people/animals) to sit in the chairs? That is something I've often wondered about (since stuffed animals would become a heavy, moldy mess after a few rains.

I'm not actually making a Ferris wheel with chairs, but using components to create moving lights. But a merry go round is similar.

hmmm could be a fun build. dont really have a use for one though:(. id prob just build it to say i did but never use it haha.

Lol. Well we've got plenty of time. I think I could animate some lights with it and a wireless controler.

Where's that wireless power cord when you need it?

" id prob just build it to say i did but never use it haha. "

I don't think your the only one with experience with this ;-)

Hi all
First post and 2014 will be my first year doing controlled lighting.
one project im going to do is build a 5 or 6 foot Ferris wheel. it will have 6 or 8 carts and leds on the spindles,
I was going to use rgb strip lights but I thought its just more channels to control so I decided to go with 4 different coloured led's in a pattern flashing between them (1st on 2nd off 3rd on 4off/ 1st off 2nd on 3rd off 4th on ETC)
the wheel will be rotating and will be mostly made of aluminium with a simple 555 timer/relay circuit installed in the hub. I have not decided on the final size yet or the final materials but I will be starting to build in the next 4-6 weeks. once I get my idea and all the items I need together.

Back