PVC jack-up pole?

jeffro

I'm wondering if anyone has done this already...

In my location, I have to deploy my antenna about 35-40 feet off the ground to get decent broadcast range. I use a Ramsey TM100 dipole antenna, and need to mount it on something. I'm thinking a PVC pole that I can crank up and down as needed would fit the bill. Basically, a PVC version of Walt Monkhouse's JUMP (http://www.magicchristmasnews.org/monkhouse jump 2010 version0001.pdf)

Anyone done something like this before?

Can't speak for a PVC version but I did go with the JUMP setup. I simplified mine a lot though - you don't really need all the holes in the inner pole or the jack - I just found the spot I needed and put a bolt through the hole and then 'walked' it up with the lights attached. That method may not work with superstrings of minis (= heavy) but it works great for a single string of pixels.

I used the "Portable Hole II" which worked great for me as well...

Can't speak for a PVC version but I did go with the JUMP setup. I simplified mine a lot though - you don't really need all the holes in the inner pole or the jack - I just found the spot I needed and put a bolt through the hole and then 'walked' it up with the lights attached. That method may not work with superstrings of minis (= heavy) but it works great for a single string of pixels.

I used the "Portable Hole II" which worked great for me as well...

I'm building both of those this year as well (I thought the poles could be simplified, too -- good to know you had success with it. I could probably do the same thing with PVC, but didn't want it to get too complex.

i'd like to see these in action, perhaps someone that has made one can post a video of it working (going up and then down).
im interested in seeing the two stage...

I'd be a bit concerned about any stresses put on by wind and such. I used PVC for a 10' tree but went to steel for my 22' tree. You'd probably be OK with the PVC for the antenna - not too much wind resistance there. I'd really give second thoughts to doing a 40 foot tall megatree with PVC, though.

No matter what you do, make sure you guy the pole well. I found steel cable on eBay a lot cheaper than at the big-box hardware stores, along with turnbuckles and the such. I used rope for my 10' tree, after being stupid about it the first year thinking the lights being staked at the bottom would keep it from getting blown over.

The JUMP requires no guy wires when used with the Portable Hole (it has tie-downs) - go to their web site and he has pictures of him pulling it from the top with no issue. Mine goes to about 19.5 feet but it was fine in high winds. Also - look on YouTube - there's a couple videos of a guy putting the tree up - it's not too exciting really - especially using the manual jack. If you follow the setup instructions it takes forever - that's why I just went with setting it and walking it up.

The JUMP requires no guy wires when used with the Portable Hole (it has tie-downs) - go to their web site and he has pictures of him pulling it from the top with no issue. Mine goes to about 19.5 feet but it was fine in high winds. Also - look on YouTube - there's a couple videos of a guy putting the tree up - it's not too exciting really - especially using the manual jack. If you follow the setup instructions it takes forever - that's why I just went with setting it and walking it up.

Yep, I'm pouring concrete for my new Portable Hole this weekend. After having a 20' pole with guy wires the last five years, I'm really looking forward to having those out of the way of the display.

The PVC pole will actually run alongside my house, and I plan on placing a mounting brace to hold the pole somewhere near the upper section of the extended pole. Trying to do a temporary antenna installation that needs to be 25' off the ground in a graceful manner requires a bit of planning on my part.

Ah - yeah - forgot you were going with PVC - in that case you may want guy wires unfortunately if you plan to have a lot of weight to keep it from snapping. I have 2" outer and 1-1/2" inner metal conduit so it won't be bending anytime soon!

Neat idea, but it got me giggling.

I was imagining how a PVC pole would work around here at -30 or so.........never mind snap - SHATTER.

Good luck with it though, keep us updated on how it goes.

Back