PVC mounting on roof edge

mikenkc

Does anyone know of a clip that will slip under the shingles at the roof edge that will hold 1/2" pvc pipe?

Does anyone know of a clip that will slip under the shingles at the roof edge that will hold 1/2" pvc pipe?

Almost... I am using clips from holidaylighthhooks.com together with large binder clips to mount my emt to the gable (peak) end of the roof. Works great. The binder clip (already attached to the emt) fits perfectly into the hooks. Initial set up just requires getting the spacing right and then you're set for next year as well. I spaced mine about every 5 feet. We had high winds last winter and they never moved.

Thanks Ed. Do you have a pic of the binder clip you use? Also check our Canny Systems for some pretty cool clips for your roof ridge. I used these last year and they held up well in the wind and snow. I just zip tied my pvc to the clips but this year they have come up with an adapter for that.

Thanks Ed. Do you have a pic of the binder clip you use? Also check our Canny Systems for some pretty cool clips for your roof ridge. I used these last year and they held up well in the wind and snow. I just zip tied my pvc to the clips but this year they have come up with an adapter for that.

2 inch binder clip.PNG
These work perfectly for emt and 1/2 inch pvc. For the roof edge, the weight of the pixels and emt is sufficient to keep it engaged with the roof edge clips.

I used these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-20-Gauge-1-1-4-in-x-9-in-Strap-Tie-LSTA9/202255804

Cut them in half, and folded the a 1/4" twice at the end. This gave me a nice plate with the hole. The plate tucks under your shingles.

I then got these:
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...86-c-9707.htm?tid=-2664885147406132241&ipos=1

Drilled holes through my PVC and attached the j-bolts. Then it was just a matter of slipping the hangers under the shingles and then hanging the pvc from the hangers. The j-bolts also work great on gutters.

I use the Simpson Straps also after someone recommended them. I clamped one end to a piece of PVC and bent the strap around it, making a C shape. The PCB springs in/out of the C and the rest of the strap slides easily under the shingles. I put a lot of weight on them, 4 strands of lights plus garland and they never moved. Super easy to take down too.

Secure one end to a piece of PVC with a clamp or vice grips. Bend it around the pipe until you get a C shape. After that, bend the strap backward so the C drops down as shown in the picture. Clamping to a piece of wood with a 90 degree edge helps with the second bend.

20180914_143940.jpg
20180914_143047.jpg
20180914_143037.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t like the time it takes to hang my roof edge lighting so I went a different route to save time . I’m still building the finished product but i have designed a magnetic clip for my pvc light bars as i call them . I utilize the drip edge and magnets to easily put up and take down my lights. Here’s a pic of the first trial
4a4340d3fbb122ce13585ab9501138f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t like the time it takes to hang my roof edge lighting so I went a different route to save time . I’m still building the finished product but i have designed a magnetic clip for my pvc light bars as i call them . I utilize the drip edge and magnets to easily put up and take down my lights. Here’s a pic of the first trial
4a4340d3fbb122ce13585ab9501138f6.jpg

994dd93cf9a8118f010cd9ee3c7d1191.jpg

Can't wait to hear more, but I think I have a non-ferrous gutter [emoji26]

I also have bad winds. Do you have to worry about that?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Magnets wont connect to gutter itself but they will connect to the drip edge .

Can't wait to hear more, but I think I have a non-ferrous gutter [emoji26]

I also have bad winds. Do you have to worry about that?

Yes I am north of Houston Texas and we will get some bad wind from time to time .

Maybe I am missing something. Isn't the drip edge behind the gutter? It looked like in your pics that you were near the front of the gutter.

Maybe I am missing something. Isn't the drip edge behind the gutter? It looked like in your pics that you were near the front of the gutter.

Yes inside gutter on edge of roof my gutters are installed just bellow the drip edge .
694bf5732c61d1837065a4838f94829c.jpg

I'll have to check on the small overhang I can easily reach.

I just can't imagine how many super strong magnets I would need to keep it straight!

Back