PVC mounting on roof edge

I am currently trying different magnets and so far what I know is the ceramic magnets won’t work , ordering some neodymium 3/4” round as they are stronger rare earth magnets. The number of magnets needed will determine if I call it quits or not as I have more important crap to buy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently trying different magnets and so far what I know is the ceramic magnets won’t work , ordering some neodymium 3/4” round as they are stronger rare earth magnets. The number of magnets needed will determine if I call it quits or not as I have more important crap to buy lol

I've used some of those for some of my mechanical Christmas displays, and they are super powerful. The rare Earth's have a unit for how strong they are, that does make some difference. I would be worried that it would hold too hard and getting them down would be harder than up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've used some of those for some of my mechanical Christmas displays, and they are super powerful. The rare Earth's have a unit for how strong they are, that does make some difference. I would be worried that it would hold too hard and getting them down would be harder than up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I deal with robots at work that use magnets to crawl up the wall of tanks so I’m pretty good with them . I used two of these to hold up 13 feet of 1/2” pvc with lights as long as you slide them off there’s no problem but if you try to pull directly outward it would be tough. Plus the thickness of the metal is really thin so you loose a lot of pull force with thinner material. I just need find the right magnet at the right price to make it worth it.
69f545fd6d308de85504ed3d158afc40.jpg

Secure one end to a piece of PVC with a clamp or vice grips. Bend it around the pipe until you get a C shape. After that, bend the strap backward so the C drops down as shown in the picture. Clamping to a piece of wood with a 90 degree edge helps with the second bend.

View attachment 40048
View attachment 40049
View attachment 40050

dcamron can you tell me please if you use 1/2 or 3/4 inch pvc pipe? I am loving this idea thank you.

Dave

Here’s another way to hide out of site for 1/2 inch pvc I got bag of 1/2” couplers . With pvc cuter I cut 3/4 inch offf of both sides of coupler
167b599f80b619020a372867d471c846.jpg

After doing that I then cut about a 3/4” section from those pieces I try to cut piece out with the bump on it
0925d0c2be0f446e27e0e1090fe40de6.jpg

Don’t have to be perfect , then I drill a small hole w/countersink for screw
1810573dddb8a3e631f857cdf0aeb9da.jpg

Then test my clips on my 1/2” pvc
964867cff8b14173fba53fb02dac4d7e.jpg

Now I’m ready to place under my roof line . Lights will show but wiring and pipe won’t . With all my edging pre made and lights already attached to pvc I can just snap each section in place in a matter of minutes vs. hours climbing on roof . I get contractor bag of couplers qty 10 for 2.60 ish each makes 2 clips so 20 clips per bag screws are box of 100 for 5.59
686a7f3e14c4536264f869e88eb5ca02.jpg
93b26a1e535193ae3ed36b1a25dd8590.jpg

Clips stay up light bars come down just pop out . I’ve labeled mine by number starting from left of house to right .
Just an idea I puked up last year till I find better option cause I hate staples and climbing on roof and time to put those cheap clips up that always breaking on me .

dcamron can you tell me please if you use 1/2 or 3/4 inch pvc pipe? I am loving this idea thank you.

Dave
I use 3/4”. 1/2” is too flexible but would probably work with enough clips and a light amount of weight. You can’t see the white PVC on my house when it’s up there. Just the lights.

Clips stay up light bars come down just pop out . I’ve labeled mine by number starting from left of house to right .
Just an idea I puked up last year till I find better option cause I hate staples and climbing on roof and time to put those cheap clips up that always breaking on me .

I will be interested to know how those clips hold up for you over a couple of seasons. I have tried some purchased clips (1 season), 3D printed ABS clips (2+ seasons). I have to redo my window frames this year and I am looking for a better mounting system

I will be interested to know how those clips hold up for you over a couple of seasons. I have tried some purchased clips (1 season), 3D printed ABS clips (2+ seasons). I have to redo my window frames this year and I am looking for a better mounting system

I agree but my thinking was for 5 bucks to replace them all even at 2 -3 seasons I’ll be happy . This year will be 2nd season.

Im a little late here but I use 3/4" EMT 1 hole steel straps. Put a channel lock to it and bend it smaller. Snaps right onto 1/2 inch PVC like it was meant to be there. The little nub on the inside of the strap grabs and holds 1/2" PVC perfectly. If it is too loose, take it off, squeeze it some more with the channel locks until it fits tight. I use 4 straps per just under 10 foot pipes. Drilled 2 1/4" spacing to support 50 12 mm pixels each. Put a 1/2" coupler on the end to tie together each PVC length. Then permanently mount cup hooks on the eave. Takes 2 seconds to install 50 pixels. Leave the hooks up for next year. The hard part is drilling all of the holes in the pipes.................. I'll be drilling 20 more pipe this weekend.

Last edited:
I'm using J-hooks that you can buy at any home center (or Amazon), drilling a pilot hole in my eaves or edge boards, then screwing in the J-hooks. I buy the ones big enough that a 1/2" PVC pipe simply snaps into the hook section. Easy peasy.

Back