Question/Help with Arches?

Arakasi

Hello!

I am new to this hobby and decided to make some leaping arches for my show this year. Basically, I purchased some Schedule 40 PVC (thin wall) from Menards and zip tied coro arches to them (https://www.holidaycoro.com/PixNode-QuickArch-Kit-6ft-p/1083.htm).

I made the bases out of the same PVC pipe so that I could insert the arches into them and stake the base into the ground. These were fine until we got that crazy storm 2 days before Christmas (I live in the Midwest USA). The combination of the 50 mph winds and sub-zero temperatures caused the PVC pipe that was supporting the arches to snap and blow over most of my arches.

My question is this: Is there a better way to do PVC arches, or are there any suggestions on how to strengthen the PVC so this doesn't happen in the future? I thought of using either thick-walled PVC or EMT for the base but I'm not sure if that would solve the problem. I am also considering using the 2" tubing (with proper bases) so that I can have the LEDs inside the tube (which should lower the surface area for the wind to grab).

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

-- John

I use PEX pipe. I drilled holes on 1" spacing into the back to insert 12mm bullet pixels. I use a plant stake in the middle to keep it stable and a set of cross bars at the ends to act as feet. Had no problems with 60 mph gusts.

Using a thicker wall PVC would help with your current arches.

I use 1" pex with strips and have not had any issues with them blowing over with my 3D printed bases.

Using a thicker wall PVC would help with your current arches.

I use 1" pex with strips and have not had any issues with them blowing over with my 3D printed bases.

Same here 1" Pex with 12VDC LED strips. Built base out of wood, drilling holes to run the Pex into. Although they are free standing, I added a support stake (electric fence stake) to the middle of the arch for so it would stand straight in higher winds.
-Tony

Quick & dirty:. I tie a short string to the PVC, then tie a carabiner to the other end. Normally, that's it. But when it's turbulent, I attach another string at the other end of the carabiner and stake it to the ground. You can do the whole thing with gloves on (not so much if you were tying knots). That's for my big arches that people drive trucks through. You can also use that for.other things, and in combination with whatever other solutions people offer.

Back