Quick and easy lighted candy canes

wilmar

These are about 5’ tall and cost less than 10 bucks each and take less than an hour to make and look much better than the small store bought ones I used to have , will be making many more . .
9bdf0bd06e8cd33c8be5dc92c0034e67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supplies used
Used 1 1/2” sch 40 pvc come in 10’ sections for 5.50 each or so
Red duct tape
I used 2strings of 20 incandescent bulbs I had gotten from dollar store for 2.00 each or 1 led string of 50 doubled up .
Heat gun (cheap one) is what I had
Scrap plywood

So to make them all the same size and shape I used the scrap plywood to build a mold
9e0b767ed4b3cda1e4c0c1501beb1f84.jpg

e4063419b6152161e84defcc2c938f0f.jpg

Put one end in slot on right side and slowly heat sections and bend till gets all the way around . Must go slow and if I get a kink or fold in pvc at bend I put one foot over to keep the round shape till it cools .
Cut end off to length desired.
Then wrap red duct tape at an angle around spiraling around till done .
Then run lights inside . I pulled lights through with fishing string and hot glued in to inside of pipe to keep in place.

Last edited:
Lights need to be super bright type the foggy or duller ones don’t work as good.

Are you installing them on the ground? If so how do you support all that weight? Might look good on the house though. I will keep it in mind for a future project. Looks great!

Are you installing them on the ground? If so how do you support all that weight? Might look good on the house though. I will keep it in mind for a future project. Looks great!

Plan is in the ground ground ... working on trying a few diff options I’ll post what works best soon as I get it right .

I see 2" pvc ID is just 0.147 larger than 1 1/2" pvc. Might be able to do it like my megatree with the larger pvc buried in the ground and slide the canes into the buried sockets. Might have to go to about 2' depth to be strong enough. But my megatree has a steel pole in a pvc ground sleeve. Maybe the base of the cane could be beefed up with some sort of internal stiffener so it does not buckle in the wind. More research would be needed. Keep us posted on your ideas. I am interested.

Last edited:
Lights need to be super bright type the foggy or duller ones don’t work as good.

Have you considered using PEX (also available at HomeDepot) instead of PVC?

I’ve been really happy with the color-transparency (rendering?) of the PEX tubing. I’ve noticed that the PEX tubing is also pretty formable, just by running hot water through it.

I use 1” PEX for my arches and 1/2” for my icicles.

Have you considered using PEX (also available at HomeDepot) instead of PVC?

I’ve been really happy with the color-transparency (rendering?) of the PEX tubing. I’ve noticed that the PEX tubing is also pretty formable, just by running hot water through it.

I use 1” PEX for my arches and 1/2” for my icicles.

Yes but for a large candy cane I wanted something solid that won’t bend or break or get crushed in storage. I made them originally or day time Decor . When I was setting up Halloween I found some extra lights and thought I’d try it and it looked good at night too so thought I’d share .

I have 3 several candy cane fans made of store bought candy canes that I am considering reworking. They were slammed together quickly with zipties and coroplast base and they are flimsy

Several comments so far:
I like the way yours look and the fact that you can make as many as you want.
I need to test the translucency of PVC.
I like the plywood jig. It took me several closer looks to identify that it was 2 sheets of plywood stacked up. The wood grain lined up so it was difficult to make out the layers.
I need to test the formability of PEX. I know it is translucent, but will it hold a bend after heating and cooling?

I have 3 several candy cane fans made of store bought candy canes that I am considering reworking. They were slammed together quickly with zipties and coroplast base and they are flimsy

Several comments so far:
I like the way yours look and the fact that you can make as many as you want.
I need to test the translucency of PVC.
I like the plywood jig. It took me several closer looks to identify that it was 2 sheets of plywood stacked up. The wood grain lined up so it was difficult to make out the layers.
I need to test the formability of PEX. I know it is translucent, but will it hold a bend after heating and cooling?

Pvc I’ve tested will need thin wall some work some don’t trial and error

Back