Ray Wu fail, please recommend a different vendor

firstone

I've contacted him and created a quote. I've asked if there was a cheaper options and he stopped responding completely.

Would like to get a recommendation for a different vendor based on personal experience. PM me if posting links here is not allowed.

Kung Hei Fat Choy - Happy new year.
Hang tight. The Chinese New Year begins January 23, however, it seems a week before it begins, some begin preparation.
I too was in email communications with a vendor and on the 14th, our dialogue abruptly stopped.
So Im thinking its just because of their New Years. At least I hope so.

Its celebrated for 15 days, so dont expect any shipping (and communications) for at least the first week.

IMO.

I wish someone would say this for me. "Hey, he's close to his vacation, probably has short-timer's, plan to reach out later on". :biggrin2:

I'm not, of course, in a hurry. New Years is a year away :) Just find it weird that messages are "Read" but no response from 1/10. I guess I can wait and see.

My day job imports some electronics from China. We were told last week that if we did not have the order in by 1/17 then there would be an additional 3 weeks added to our lead time because of their New Year Celebration.

What are you trying to order?

My day job imports some electronics from China. We were told last week that if we did not have the order in by 1/17 then there would be an additional 3 weeks added to our lead time because of their New Year Celebration.

What are you trying to order?

I'm ordering 6 custom length pixel strings and some null pixels and power injection connectors. I don't care how long it takes. It just bothers me he doesn't reply to my messages. But, again, I'll wait and see. No rush.

If this doesn't work out, I guess I'm capable of some mild soldering so can order from anywhere. I've also ordered 2" spacing but I don't mind extra wires. Kind of worried 2" spacing might be tight fit to 2" hole spaces to be honest.

Another vendor I've ordered 5050 strips from says they're off from Jan 14 to 28, so hopefully I'll hear from Ray eventually.

Kind of worried 2" spacing might be tight fit to 2" hole spaces to be honest.

You probably will have a hard time with that spacing. That is pretty tight, especially if you are using push through pixels. Just my $0.02

-Tony

Last edited:
If this doesn't work out, I guess I'm capable of some mild soldering so can order from anywhere. I've also ordered 2" spacing but I don't mind extra wires. Kind of worried 2" spacing might be tight fit to 2" hole spaces to be honest.

Another vendor I've ordered 5050 strips from says they're off from Jan 14 to 28, so hopefully I'll hear from Ray eventually.
There is also the pixel repair issue that such a short wire creates. Even with butt connectors, there is barely any room to get a wire stripper on a 3" wire, much less a 2" wire. That and the wire would be stretched tight, causing stress on the sealant and allowing water into the pixel. I ordered 4" wire spacing for my 2" spaced props.

I have found Ray to usually be very responsive, most times of the year, with the exception of now. Yes, it is frustrating to try and get an order in this time of year direct with China, but my guess is he is probably very busy, not just with the holiday coming up, but probably dealing a lot with the US distributors of his products that are organizing bulk orders. I placed an order with him last week, but he told me my stuff wouldn't be shipping until February, which I expected, but the communication was fast and efficient.

I am just guessing here, but he sees an email with someone asking for a cheaper option than he already has pretty good prices on, and he also has messages from stock orders, custom quotes, and bulk buys, he maybe just is knocking those out and will come back and see what he can do. Ray is one of the few China suppliers who is very easy to work with customizing pixel strings, and really, his prices for custom strings isn't too bad at all. Not defending Ray, but rather than consider this a fail as was noted in the post title, it could be noted as looking for other options.

You mentioned "read" messages, so not sure if you are using his email, but I have found that to be the quickest, and most detailed. He sends back very detailed spreadsheets with pictures and prices, has been easy to work with, and his products have always been good for me. If you are looking for a different vendor for custom strings, I would say Ray is still the best option, especially if you do have some time on your hands.

I know Wallys and YourPixelStore will work with anyone on custom strings, but as @mikekrebs mentioned, they are probably going to order right from Ray, or maybe their suppliers work with them because of their order sizes.

I like the custom strings by the way, ordered a couple hundred last year from Ray and it was great. Yes, I can solder, and yes, I can splice, but for some props, if you want a lot of strings in the same custom length, it was sure nice to be able to pull them out and connect them all up! I still had plenty of soldering to do with other stuff so the little bit of extra cost for the known lengths was a no brainer for me.

I am just guessing here, but he sees an email with someone asking for a cheaper option than he already has pretty good prices on, and he also has messages from stock orders, custom quotes, and bulk buys, he maybe just is knocking those out and will come back and see what he can do. Ray is one of the few China suppliers who is very easy to work with customizing pixel strings, and really, his prices for custom strings isn't too bad at all. Not defending Ray, but rather than consider this a fail as was noted in the post title, it could be noted as looking for other options.

You mentioned "read" messages, so not sure if you are using his email, but I have found that to be the quickest, and most detailed. He sends back very detailed spreadsheets with pictures and prices, has been easy to work with, and his products have always been good for me. If you are looking for a different vendor for custom strings, I would say Ray is still the best option, especially if you do have some time on your hands.

I see a lot of other sellers offer Aliexpress Standard Shipping, whatever that is and it's usually free. So it's not like I asked to give me shipping discount. I've asked if there are options. I can understand being busy but he can drop "I'll get back to you" or something.

What I mean by "Read" is - there is a messaging center in Aliexpress that shows when you're message has been read by the recipient. I guess it's like Discord chat.

I have always only ordered from Ray. I use 2" spacing on my house outlines. His 2" spaced pixels fit perfectly in the Boscoyo strips or chromatrim. I have also had to repair them. I have had no problem splicing them using heat shrink. And, when he has given you a shipping quote, that is the quote. He uses DHL and FEDEX, and the prices are pretty firm.
As for other vendors, here are a couple that folks use:
https://www.wiredwatts.com/
https://scottled.en.alibaba.com/

2 inch spacing on pixels hasn’t worked well for me. I had Ray build me about 1200 square pixels spaced at two inches and I had some go out with barely enough wire to splice them.

It’s also best to email Ray directly instead of using AliExpress’ system. Ray@rita-light.com

Last edited:

I just did custom 3" wire length in 2.5" spaced holes, both bullet & square (different vendor, but length was pretty true). I wouldn't have wanted less. Also 2" is pretty short for solder + shrink tubing.

Keep in mind that it is Lunar New Year today in China (12hours ahead of us) and the celebrations last 15 days

Happy Lunar Year of the Rabbit!

Back