Re-Organizing the Christmas Wiki

Looks good!

Can we move 24 Channel Renard with SSR Assembly Instructions to "Renard 24HC" or something like that?

Could we also move 24 Channel Renard without to "Renard 24LV" or similar"?

As those titles are not very descriptive of the controller. Now if someone is going to redo those pages like how Chris gave the Renard 64XC it's own pages then those page titles can be reserved for that.

Oh and also I think the page "Please see here if you purchased any" needs more description or if the information is no longer relevant then it can be removed from the index and Renard 24 categories.

I just started populating new wiki pages for ArtNet and Streaming-ACN (E1.31), I did not see them on the road map but they should be treated just like the DMX page.

Last edited:
Ricky,

Your post highlights one of the problems with something like the wiki, what is clear to one person may or may not be clear to another.

Can we move 24 Channel Renard with SSR Assembly Instructions to "Renard 24HC" or something like that?

I would have changed it to "Renard 24" but it is already taken. So I opted to leave it as it is til someone (if anyone) steps up to update the page.

Could we also move 24 Channel Renard without to "Renard 24LV" or similar"?

Obvious bad title. Changed to "Renard 24LV", updated 5 pages that link to it (don't want to rely on the redirect).

As those titles are not very descriptive of the controller. Now if someone is going to redo those pages like how Chris gave the Renard 64XC it's own pages then those page titles can be reserved for that.

Yes, it would be nice if someone would step-up and bring the Renard 24 pages up to the same level as the SS series and Renard 64XC. Maybe this post will spark some interest in that regard.

Oh and also I think the page "Please see here if you purchased any" needs more description or if the information is no longer relevant then it can be removed from the index and Renard 24 categories.

Hopefully, Frank can chime in (or you can PM him) on what version this referred to or even if it is still necessary.

BTW: Don't get on a "Rename all the pages" kick. Each renaming causes the old page name to be turned into a Redirect page and all the old links still point there. Most wiki help info (that I've found) warns against double or more redirects. Also, all external links will be to the new Redirect page instead of the real page (unless they are linked to just a section on the page then this might cause a broken link). So lets keep the renaming to a minimum.

Last edited:
I would have changed it to "Renard 24" but it is already taken. So I opted to leave it as it is til someone (if anyone) steps up to update the page.
I made the page "Renard 24" because the Renard 24HC and LV were not named appropriately in my opinion. We could delete the page Renard 24 or move it to "Renard 24 (disambiguation)" and then the Renard 24HC can be named "Renard 24".

Hopefully, Frank can chime in (or you can PM him) on what version this referred to or even if it is still necessary.

Yea, that would be nice, maybe I should PM him.

BTW: Don't get on a "Rename all the pages" kick. Each renaming causes the old page name to be turned into a Redirect page and all the old links still point there. Most wiki help info (that I've found) warns against double or more redirects. Also, all external links will be to the new Redirect page instead of the real page (unless they are linked to just a section on the page then this might cause a broken link). So lets keep the renaming to a minimum.

I didn't ask if we could rename all the pages, just a few that seemed like they could have been named better.

And I would like to learn more about editing wikis so any good info/help pages would be appreciated.

I very much like the graphic diagram of the wiki layout... but these old eyes have trouble seeing the text. Is there any chance of making the text bigger and perhaps all the bullet topics narrower so they'll still fit? Seems like quite a bit of wasted room.

No big deal, just a thought... One solution, of course, is to raise the magnification of the browser, but then you can't get it to fit on the screen very easily.

Just ideas...

It does let you see the full size picture, but I have to click it 3 times.
Click 1st to go to the image in the wiki, then to open the full resolution (but Firefox re-sizes it to fit the screen), and finally click to see the full picture.

I know you had stated that in this current version of Wiki you could not have click-able images. What about instead of the image make a hyperlink tree kind of like an outline with hyperlinks. You could even use buttons or boxes for each category if you wanted it to make it like a click-able image.

For example:
Code:
DIYC Software
                       Vixen

DIYC Hardware
                       Renard
                                  Renard 16
                                  Renard 24
                       SSRs
                       DMX

Protocols

Brian

I didn't ask if we could rename all the pages, just a few that seemed like they could have been named better.

And I would like to learn more about editing wikis so any good info/help pages would be appreciated.

I know you didn't (shouldn't have made it appear directed at you). I added that so anyone following the thread would know the effects of renaming pages and not be tempted to ask for pages to renamed without a good reason.

The link at the bottom of the wiki Main Page to http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents is where I started to learn about how to edit the wiki.

Wikipedia also has good info on editing wiki pages. Only problem with some of the more advance topics is that the required extensions aren't installed in the ChristmasWiki (yet ;)).

I very much like the graphic diagram of the wiki layout... but these old eyes have trouble seeing the text. Is there any chance of making the text bigger and perhaps all the bullet topics narrower so they'll still fit? Seems like quite a bit of wasted room.

Try it now.... Any better on your old eyes?? :lol:

That's a good link, I have a wiki on Wikia and I have been reading some of the help pages on Wikipedia and Wikimedia when I have a question on how to do something.

Back