Recommendations : Good Budget Oscilloscope

MichiganLights

I'm looking for recommendations on a good budget/hobbyist oscilloscope. Primarily to help check and debug Renard SS and ESP and some ARM projects.

I'm thinking 2 channel analog, differential input, good resolution display for my sorry old eyes. Is 20Mhz enough?

This is the one I bought when I was asking the same question 2 years ago. https://www.amazon.com/Rigol-DS1054Z-Digital-Oscilloscopes-Bandwidth/dp/B012938E76

I've been very happy with it so far. I tend to use it a lot for protocol analyzing. It has some nice functionality for that.
Jon,

That one has come up a lot in my searches. Do you use the 3rd & 4th channel much? The 2-ch version is ~$100 less. Have you purchased any keys/licenses for the expanded features?

I’ve used all of the channels a few times. Typically when I want to watch multiple signals at the same time. It’s cheaper to spend the extra up front rather than wish you had them later.

Spend some time googling to find out how to unlock those extra features. One of the big reasons this one is so popular with the diy guys is that it’s easily hackable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when buying tools and recommend the policy of buy once cry once. I also have the rigol and have upgraded it to an 1104 (100mz) using the Rigol Hack that is widely documented. The 4 probes are nice to have, I often use them for looking at R-G-B feeds or signal decoding and depending on protocol require up to 4 probes.

+1 on Rigol scopes. I bought a Rigol 1052 several years ago, applied the hack to it to make it into 100mhz instead of its default 50mhz. It's a 2-channel scope but it's been a rare situation where I've ever needed more than 2 channels.

Back